Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

head wip

Badname
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Badname polycounter lvl 18
head-wire.jpg
C&C are welcome, looking for improvement on the edge flow. I am also getting some nasty spot under the nose when smoothing, am i doing the nose the wrong way or something?
I'll release him in the release the heads topic when he's ready smile.gif

Replies

• johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    johnwoo polycounter lvl 18
    That's a nice Lo-Poly head you got there..do you not plan on giving him a body?...btw with the area under the nose problem you mentioned..maybe worth adding another divided edge in between the nostril and bringing it down nearer to the region of the top lip and see how that fairs out...also double to see if you got any offending smoothing groups |;)

Yep...looking good...
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    the profile looks great.

if you are planning to release the head as a texture package, i wouldn't make it very high-poly. i would totally ditch the eyelid mesh and let the texture-work do the talking. make eyes like the MoP models.

the spot under the nose is most-likely being caused by this 5 sided n-gon.

3 things that may help your mesh flow indirectly:
    head-wire2.jpg

1. don't create useless cuts (red line on nose)
    these lines just complicate the problem of finding where to make an edge run into your mesh smoothly.
    2. don't create n-gons (5-sided white poly) just a general rule. i wouldn't say they are bad but i think they can cause problems. you should be aware of the "hidden edges".
    3. don't create a spider web(white circle) try for a grid-like flow, like the back and top of his head.

the bottom piece of the image shows a smoothing group imperfection. check to see if the verts are welded there, you might have messed up when makign a cut.

as for making a smooth mesh flow, (right-image black boarder) follow a single horizontal or verticle line and make it smooth and ease into a new angle while still defining a mass. it helps me being aware of it anyway.

-kill
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the comments! Fixed those things.
    head2.jpg
    I dont seem to be able to make the front view look good:/ i dont understand why it looks so strange. If anyone got any tips on fixing that, or maby its just normal ;O then i'll start unwrapping.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    well his mouth looks a bit off, generally the curve of the upper lip is more straight and not /-\ like u have it now. (the bottom curve that is)

i think you could also make the lower lip thin out a bit as it reaches the corner of the mouth