Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Rigging Test

S-S
S-S
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
S-S polycounter lvl 18
- Hi! Wasted yesterday into skin weighting/setup practice
- I took my old demon mesh - removed some details and rebuilt legs and hands.

- I created blend system into arms, (good information from cgtalk rigging threads) ...then I created ik foot setup and basic spine setup - and then the problems started....

- there are some thing which i hadn't quite figured out earlier....and not now... this caused some serious problems as i used orient and look at constraints - i simply couldn't get it to mirror... i think i tried all possible ways, bone mirror, mirror with all possible axis settings - no luck.
- Seems like 3dsmax don't like mirroring of bones with constraints - like this wasn't enough, i deleted all constraints and mirrored the arm, then noticed, the arm had one axis flipped - went ahead and the noticed, that right side doesn't work with skin weight mirroring - arhhh....8 hours later, i managed to get bones mirrored to right side, without negative scales, or any other strange flips which happened with mirrored bones...manually copying every bone frown.gif

- but anyway,i got the first version of skin weighting done! Here are the first test renders - i wanted the character to be really muscular / cartoony to make spotting of faults easier... only twist&blend bones used in arms - no muscle bones or corrective morphs yet!

th_20050208_muscle_man.jpg

th_20050208_muscle_man2.jpg

P.S.
- Does anyone know good scripts for mirroring arm / leg setups in 3dsmax? - Seems like max mirror really doesn't work too well... tips are very welcome smile.gif)

Replies

• pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Im no expert but the rigging looks good right now ! I don't see any real issues other then the usual bit of problems in the shoulder area . I know for sure there is a good bones tool plug in for max that has a really good mirroring script but I cant remember what it is . Im sure someone will let you know though .
  • Equinoxx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equinoxx polycounter lvl 18
    you could try using 'mirror bones' from scriptspot. skin or die looks like a mighty fine tool as well

http://www.scriptspot.com/Main_Scripts.a...eld=bone+mirror
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Equinoxx:

- Thanks - seems like it works for bones only, but it removes half of the manual work --> have to redo constrained objects manually... (maybe it can't be done properly without scripting...)

pogonip:

yep. Shoulder is always a problem smile.gif - currently there is one automaticly working blend bone (shoulder/biceps) and 3 automatic twist bones in biceps area - i think rest of the deformation could be done using morphs
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really well weighted, especially the chest shoulders and arms. However the hips and the feet might need some work? I noticed some pinching you might want to see if you can minimize, but in those areas it is going to to be hard without changing the models mesh?