Home Technical Talk

UV Mapping Multiple Maps

Voodoo
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys I've never done this before so I'm not sure how to go about doing it. I want to have two diffuse maps for my character. One head map and one map for the rest of the body. I've got the head UV's laid out in map channel 1 using Unwrap UVW. Should I put the body UVs in map channel two or use another Unwrap modifier. Once I get that done how do I apply both materials to the model at the same time?
As an extra bit of info for you the head is connected to the body, it's not a seperate piece of geometry.

Thanks a lot.

Replies

• Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Take this advise with a pinch of salt as it may not be 100% accurate smile.gif.

What I would do is take the Head faces and put a material ID on them(ID 4 for the head and 5 for the body for example),basically so you can use the select material ID fuction in the editable mesh/poly rollout modifier and it saves you having to slect the polygons each time.

I would then unwrap them both as normal....that would give you your 2 textures,make sure in the Texporter rollout(or relavent program) make sure you check "Only ID" and your 2 relavent numbers.

then paint away....

Now heres the bit im not 100% sure about myself. In the material editor select "multi/sub-Object" material.
    That should give you a type of table almost with
    material image in the left,ID number,Material name (e.g head,body) and a set of sub-materials.

Find your material ID number in the list,then go across to sub-material and click,find the texture as normal..then do the same for the second texture ...then go back up to the orginal sub-object material and the sphere in the preview slot in the editor should be broken up....apply that to the model and bingo.

I think that should work.

Good luck...

John
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    that all seems correct bronco, but just for ease of use I usually delete all the materials in the multi-sub apart from the ones i need (so if i just use 2 maps delete all but the first 2) and use material ids 1 and 2.
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
    thanks a lot guys! One last question... should I keep the head and body on different map channels too (1 and 2 in Unwrap UVW) or keep them both on 1 and just overlap the UVWs for the two maps?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Both on 1. Two map Channels are not necessary.
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    I made 2 tutorials that largely cover this in one aspect or another that are super basic tutorials so should help out a little bit:

http://studio-erebus.com/studio/tutorials/2003/uvw/uvw-dice.html
    http://studio-erebus.com/studio/tutorials/2004/uvw-multisub/uvw-multisub.html