Home General Discussion

Valve cheats people out of money

IceWolve
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
Just something interesting I saw on another forum.
http://www.infinity-zero.net/articles/articles.php?showtopic=22
Good thing I didnt buy silver/gold editions. Any of you get blind-sided by them?

oh btw, off topic, whats the deal with polycount putting up information for that dracten mod? Didn't a guy come from there several times posing a "contest" for our modelers to model a rediculously high poly model? (just had to ask :P )

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    oh btw, off topic, whats the deal with polycount putting up information for that dracten mod? Didn't a guy come from there several times posing a "contest" for our modelers to model a rediculously high poly model? (just had to ask :P )

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I could answer a long way with this question but I won't, don't forget that he begged others to "finish his dragon model" while it was nothing but a drawing :P Most of the polycounters, especially Jon Jones, know all about that desperate furry.

Besides, he has enough artists on his team anyway, just wants more to add to the ego.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Which reminds me, Valve grants you the right to sell or give away your copy of HL2 but how are you supposed to tell STEAM that this game has changed ownership? Breach of contract?
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    KDR read the article, you pay Valve $10 to remove the key from your Steam account so it can be used on another account.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if it's legal for them to charge money for that since you already have the right to do so under the contract you entered with Valve and Valve doesn't let you exercise your rights granted under that contract without paying an additional fee...
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    You pay for the service not for the fact that the key gets removed.
    Same as you can charge money for makeing a custom model for a game (you get the money for your time not for the model) but cant sell the model. (in case you didnt know its illegal to sell mods for most games)
    Least thats what i think how it works.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    edit: whoops, forgot to quote. Was refering to cheapy's post

that was abit of my fault. We met in an IRC room a friend told me to join and he told me about his mod and tried to recruit me. I declined seeing as I could tell he's flipping mental. But I thought I'd might aswell help him so I told him that polycount had alot of up and coming artists that might be interested. I linked him to the request forum and well... the rest is just forgotten history on the old boards.

though, thanks for the heads up, I'm finally getting hl2 next week. Though I don't have a current steam account because some jerk already registered my hl key.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz: If you have Gunman Chronicles lying around register that instead. Steam thinks it's HL1 Platinum.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    not supprized. this comming from the company who sold counter-strike and team fortress clasic on a separate cd so they could sell a mega-value platinum pack. haha i remember the cd with t.f.c on it just had an update patch for half-life, which was installed anyway when you installed opposing force, i think. either way, both cs and tfc were bloody well free anyway.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Halflife 2 is suppossed to be so muuuuch fun, why would anyone want to re-sale their copy ?
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ""I'm finally getting hl2 next week. Though I don't have a current steam account because some jerk already registered my hl key.""

Beware it takes 3 weeks to get a ticket from Valve/steam for any trouble related to registered CDKEYS
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    They are talking about giving their hl1 cd keys to friends and or family, not re-selling hl2.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reselling HL2 stuff was just "advocatus diaboli", as they say. I'd never actually sell a game, no matter how bad.
  • Mit Gas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mit Gas polycounter lvl 18
    I hope from the bottom of my heart that those valve suckers will have to close down one day and starve - this pile of shit (steam) is the biggest impudence I've seen for a long time when it comes to games. Damn pseudonazis.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, you ARE aware that Valve shutting down would mean Steam shutting down and HL2 becoming uninstallable? OTOH that might be your intended effect.
  • Mit Gas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mit Gas polycounter lvl 18
    HL2 isn't worth that steam-shit at all - HL2 was enjoyable but nothing more. So yes, I'd have no problem with no HL3 - it's better that this crap dies before other company use similar tactics - because when I legally buy something I don't want to get messed with.....if they punish those who buy it legally they'll only produce more people who'll d/l their games ......
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    HL2 was enjoyable but nothing more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played Halflife 2 non-stop for a week but after a while i simply was tired of the repetive gameplay, there is just that little something that Halflife 1 had that got me to play it for 6 years. Maybe combine vs rebel deathmatch are highly repetive or the fact that there's only 2 default maps. The engine is way better but without the fun factor.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I hope from the bottom of my heart that those valve suckers will have to close down one day and starve

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's exaclty why they steam exists.
    Heaven forbid a game developer wants to make money off their creation, rather than have MuRd3rD3AThKi1169 or some other douchebag hacker crack it so that the hard working artists and engineers dont get the revenue they deserve.
    More power to steam, and any hinderance to the piracy of games.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Well said ghost_rider. =] Using steam has been the easiest experience I've ever had with purchasing and installing a game, not to mention playing it. I'll support Valve's push for independence from publishers any day as well.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I can understand people on this board who say steam is a good thing and maybe it really gives more independence to the game developers...

But at what price?
    The theory is good, but in reality steam is used to screw the rightful customer, and isn't really hurting the "pirate" in any way at all.

Just like a lot of other stupid copy protection methods recently, but at least they don't steal basic customer rights like steam does.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More power to steam, and any hinderance to the piracy of games.

Leck mich am Arsch. When I pay for a game I don't want to be bothered by ten layers of copy protection. The game will be pirated anyway and the pirates (at least the end users) won't have to deal with those copy protection mechanisms. You don't need more copy protection than some ancient Safedisk mechanism, just enough so you can invoke the DMCA without causing all those incompatibilities modern CP systems cause. It won't make a difference to the pirates but it'll make one hell of a difference to the paying customer.
    In other words: If they want to protect their profits that's fine by me as long as it doesn't interfere with my user experience which Steam does. Having a program to do all the patching and downloading extras is fine, forcing me to use some goddamn DRM software that connects to Big Brother on every start (always-on internet connection, can't tell Steam not o connect when there's a possible connection) is NOT. And $DEITY have mercy upon the poor souls who buy an EA game after they start using a similar system.
  • tone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tone polycounter lvl 18
    agreed. I've been caught out a couple of times trying to play on a dedicated stand-alone pc and wound up having to hook it up to the network and await login / authorisation. A specific "Retain the fact that I have enabled the program already and start the game without going online again" BUTTON would be awfully acommodating of valve right around now, thanks.

The so-called offline mode only being accessible when it attempts to connect/login and fails doesn't appear to be very respectful to the customer.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think people using the warez version at my college get in a LAN game a wizz lot faster than breadline customers like me with their retail version.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    To be honest, I didnt play half life 2 for the first 2 weeks I had it.

I used steam since the first day it came out, and since it took me about a week to get the newest version of CS when it was first released, I just thought I'd wait.

There's no getting around it, every game will get pirated, no matter what you do... so save the customers the trouble.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I wasn't happy when it took me over an hour (on dial-up) to register my just-bought copy of HL2, downloading a phone crunching 18 megs of 'files' in the process.

At least Valve recently took out the safedisk protection - having to have the disk in the drive AND have steam running made me feel like a second class citizen compared to those who pre-loaded the game, and therefore didn't have/need a disk.

Other publishers will follow suit - I just hope I have a broadband connection by then.
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    without causing all those incompatibilities modern CP systems cause. It won't make a difference to the pirates but it'll make one hell of a difference to the paying customer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wholeheartedly agree, but I'm not sure if this is really something to say against Steam? I'll admit I have absolutely no experience with Steam, but from what I've heard, it's actually moving copy protection back to the software side, and away from the real problems (CP that is incompatable with hardware). I could be wrong though.

[ QUOTE ]
    (always-on internet connection, can't tell Steam not o connect when there's a possible connection) is NOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two things you can do: Download a (free) software firewall program such as Zonealarm or Sygate Personal Firewall. These should let you disalow programs from accessing the net. I suggest them regardless of whether or not you want Steam to connect to the net.

Second, you can, well, turn off your net connection. It can be done fairly easily. In either 2k or XP, you can just go to Start -> Network Connections -> (Your Connection). Then simply click Disable. Of course, it's a heavy handed method, and less useful than a Software Firewall, but I just mention it to say that there are options.