Home Technical Talk

Wacom Tablets

IceWolve
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
I think this has probly ben discussed before, but what is a good cheap wacom tablet? I would like to get one to help with drawing etc in photoshop, but i dont know jack about them except what they are used for and how to use em.. Any one have a prefernce or are they all the same?

Replies

• Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I think you answered your own question by using the phrase 'wacom tablet' instead of just 'tablet'. Both of mine are pretty old now, but I have tried others - some with batteries in the pens - and I've not found a wacom beater yet. Since cost is an issue, you could go for a smaller model. The one I use at home - a wacom penpartner - has a 4"x5" live area which is fine for most tasks, although you're gonna want to take regular breaks to stop handcramps or the dreaded RSI, what with arcing from the wrist rather than the elbow or shoulder.

Nowadays you want to go for pressure and tilt sensetivity (that is if you're going to paint with it).

Anyone else know of any other makes/models?
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    OK The Intous versions have 1024 levels of pressure sesitivity. So it cost more. Graphire only has 512 levels. Thier on version 3 now so you can get a cheap graphire2 or Intuos2 on Ebay pretty cheap. I just got a 4x5 Intous2 for $60. I recently saw a graphire2 for $35.

I have to say that probably a used graphire2 would be enough for now.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, a used (good condition - make sure the plastic pen nib isn't worn down totally!) Wacom Graphire2 would be a great place to start.
    I have to say that after seeing other people use non-Wacom tablets, and have to faff around with batteries in the pen, or having them break every couple of months, it seems Wacom definitely build the superior product. They're sturdy.

MoP
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Hi, go for a wacom unless you want to waste money and then end up buying a wacom anyway. Intous 2 4x5 is great but if you have a tighter budget than that get the Graphire cause they are sweet too. Don't let the size fool you that is all you need especially if your desk isn't big. My first tablet was an Aiptek 8x6 and it was utter crap!!! Using that thing made me want to throw my PC out the window. Waste of money. I hope that helps.

Alex
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    My first tablet was an Aiptek 8x6 and it was utter crap!!! Using that thing made me want to throw my PC out the window. Waste of money. I hope that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here...do not buy an Aiptek for your first tablet. The sensing is horrible, and once the battery in the pen starts to die, its going to be even more of a pain...