Home General Discussion

Cottages

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Illusions polycounter lvl 18
So, since I'm producing a website for my portfolio now, and I know that Polycount hosts work...I was just wondering how one goes about getting a Cottage here, and what the included perks are of having one (like monthly bandwith, storage space size, etc)... smile.gif

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    i don't know about the polycount cottages, but gamespy's perks are unlimited storage and bandwidth, so long as you slap their banner ads on your pages. i tried applying for one before (at planetquake) but was refused because my portfolio didn't contain quake-specific content, just my concept art portfolio. but i don't see why you can't veer off the theme a bit once you've got one. (aside from etiquette that is)
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    sorry i got busy and didnt get around to replying in the other thread you asked.

perks are unlimited bandwidth(barring gamespy's up/downtime) and storage(though nothing stupidly crazy). zips and large files need to be hosted on FilePlanet. downside is you need thier ad banner code on ALL of you .html pages, as has been noticed sometimes that's REALLY annoying with flash popups and full page condom adds......

it used to be that you had to have made a contribution to the community, or had a few models out, done some tutorials, skins, etc etc..

you need to talk to r13 about it.. and he might be able to point you in the right direction wink.gif
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Alrighty, lol...thankyou for help. Hmm...banner ads don't sound like fun...I'll see where I stand though when I finally finish my website and have something more than just 2-3 models, and sketches to throw in it. smile.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I use Oktagone.net
    They are pretty damn cheap, have amazing server uptime, and even register a domain for ya.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    i use dreamhost.com, 1.5gb storage, 35gb transfer, unlimited mysql queries(incase i run a forum!), 99.9uptime, free domain registration andreregistration, humorous monthly newletters, all for 11 bucks a month.

Also, from time to time they'll randomly increase your storage space and tranfer limits, no charge.. it's kinda
    nice. I started with 20gb xfer and 800mg storage, both have close to doubled in the past year throughout the months.