Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WW2 RTS Vehicle Textures

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
smurfbizkit polycounter lvl 18
These textures are for an rts mod I'm working on (a backlog from the past few months). I am happy with most of them, but I am sure that there is room for improvement. It would be a great help if you could point out errors and give ideas for things.

By the way, I suppose this is my first post on the boards now...since my old account was wiped with the server crash.

-I did not do the models (with the exception of the bm-13)
-treads arn't on most of these yet
-this is for an rts, so most of the pics show the models much larger than they will be seen ingame

rollsroycepic1.jpg

adlerrender1.jpg
varients: http://www.derelictstudios.net/users/smurf/adlervarients1.jpg

pziv2.jpg
with ss panzer division varient

pantherpic1.jpg

hummelpic2.jpg

bm13pic5.jpg

truckpic1.jpg

opelcarrender2.jpg
for some reason, I am really unhappy with this car...I dunno if its the model or the texture

t34pic3.jpg
with snow varient

Replies

• Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    I really like that 1st car, however some of the textures for the tanks and so forth look a bit bright and lacking in contrast. Otherwise it looks good.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    They look nice, their just not what i would expect in an rts.

Mind telling the polycount for these things, and how big are the textures?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I like them! They look good, a nice consistent style too. I think Zeldrik is right about the brightness and contrast in some places though, like the green T-34 (?) tank at the bottom there.
    I'm wondering the same as TGZ - what polycounts and texture sizes?

MoP
  • smurfbizkit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops, sorry...It was late when I posted those, I tend to forget things then.

The units are around 1500 polys, and the textures shown are 1024x1024. We will be using 512x512 for textures ingame though (I like to work on larger textures when texturing).

It needs more contrast? I honestly thought that I had too much. Where specifically on the t-34?
  • smurfbizkit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    They look nice, their just not what i would expect in an rts.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    What i ment was 1500 polys and a a 512 texture is huge for a RTS to try to use, more so in the numbers that they are used in that game. I know that the game your modding is pretty damn buff and can push some serious polys and textures, but not per unit. A 256 is more than enough for a building textures and they are much bigger than the units. I would think you would be going for a 500 poly range for the units and a 128-256 for the textures.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    1024 is really REALLY overkill for an rts, and 512 only marginally less overkill. They look pretty nice overall, I like the second car the most. I think that you found a style that works on them. However the military vehicles the textures are not as successful, not sure what it is however.
  • smurfbizkit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    What i ment was 1500 polys and a a 512 texture is huge for a RTS to try to use, more so in the numbers that they are used in that game. I know that the game your modding is pretty damn buff and can push some serious polys and textures, but not per unit. A 256 is more than enough for a building textures and they are much bigger than the units. I would think you would be going for a 500 poly range for the units and a 128-256 for the textures.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm? Most of the recent RTS games are using the higher poly and higher res textures. I believe Dawn of War also uses 512 textures for their units. B4ME is definitely using 512 textures on their large units (looks like 256 for the infantry). 256 is definitely not high enough for buildings, we tried that with our CNC:Generals version...and even then it looked like crap.

@poopinmymouth, i said i was doing them at 1024...but would lower them to 512 for ingame use (i like to work at double size). I do agree with you, the style I'm using works much better on the civilian cars than it does on the tanks and vehicles...however I've run out of good ideas, hence the posting here.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    well it would depend on the title--you mentioned Dawn of War, which unlike your more traditional RTS does feature a very close-in camera angle, which is why the use of 512 maps and up would make more sense. i'm not really familiar with battle for middle earth, but i assume that at least some of the action is viewed close to mid-range. in which case your budget restrictions aren't quite so pie in the sky.

as far as your problem skinning the tanks i don't know what to say. the cars are definitely more successful textures than the tanks, but i can't say what's hurting the tank textures. they do tend to blend together at a distance, though, so maybe contrast is the answer. play around with levels and see what comes out.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'm thinking you're going to need to sharpen those textures up significantly if you're going to want your vehicles too look like much more than an amorphous block of colour. Get some really sharp highlights and shadows on edges going. that usually makes things pop pretty well