Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Mythic Art Test - Final

KMan
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
KMan polycounter lvl 18
A couple of people wanted to see my art test that I had done for Mythic recently, so I have finally gotten around to doing that.

I'm sure a number of you are also familiar with this test, so I don't think I have much to explain for it. I had seen some of the other tests that were submitted, so I wanted to make sure mine was as distincitvely different as I could, while still making sense.

Render
art_test_finali.jpg
1600x1200 ~610KB

And then here are the flats. I made a set of glow flats for each of the window sections for night time illumination as well as a detail texture map for added in game detail. It's kind of hard to see the detail from a render, but it's in there. :P

art_test_flatsi.jpg
1536x2048 ~650KB

There are a number of things I would have done differently, if I had the time/flexibility. You can see a number of areas where the textures are mostly repeated. I could have easily broken those down to 256 squares and had them tile like nobody's business. So instead of just completely duplicating each part, I went and added a little variety with stains, chips and cracks, n stuff. I also would have kept the class on as few pages as possible. That way I'd only need one glow texture page. Then again, I could have just modeled the glass in separately, and went from there. :S But that's behind me now.

I'm happy with it, but like most of my work, I can see plenty of things I would do differently. But that's what get's put into the next model I make, right? I'm just happy that they were impressed enough with it to give me a job under poops desk.

As always, if you want to comment on it, go for it. This won't get changed any, but it's always good to hear.

Also, for anyone that is interested, I made little renders of each save iteration from when I started till when I was done creating the mesh later that day.

art_test_day1.gif

Replies

• Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    That looks so clean ! really cool, did you have to model to a specific count ?
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    looks good. congrats on the job! smile.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    looks cool man, but i think as a whole it is way to monochromatic. You could add some color variation in the shingles, and even spice it up with a hint of greenish moss/vines creeping up some of the various walls. It looks great, but overall very bland. A part of me thinks the arched bricks should be a lighter color as opposed to the darker color... to help them really stand off of from the windows, but then again, the darker color makes the windows pop.

i think with more color and variation, this would have a lot more life, and really let your details shine, rather than losing them in monochrome.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. That rocks.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice work. Great design.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like a really solid design, the individual elements look rather simple (eg: model / texture flat)... yet it looks terrific once complete as one.

Pretty spiffing job :]
  • HellMark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HellMark polycounter lvl 18
    Kick ass job Kman! Easy to see why they gave you the job. While I agree with moose a bit that a little more color would be nice, it really looks like it fits with the Imperator world based on screenshots I've seen. smile.gif

It's a great inspiration piece. Makes me want to push that much harder to improve my skills.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    great work KMan, and congrats again on landing the job. you said it all--it looks good and sharp, and although there are always things to be done better, you did well enough to get the job smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ha! That's awesome. Would like to see more shots w/ different angles but thats just me. Can't really critique on it though, looks great. My favourite part of the model are the windows.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    I second Brome's comment -- the glowing windows with the varying shaded brightness just drips atmosphere. An amazing job.

You're gonna need a scoop to work under Poop's desk, ya know. laugh.gif

/jzero
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Showster- the poly limit I was given was 6,000

Moose- yes, it is very monochromatic. But then again, that was what I was shooting for. The other art tests that had been posted on polycount for this really went to far with the color variation, so I locked mine down to a smaller palette. I wanted to make sure mine looked as different as possible from the others I had seen. So, what I did instead was mess around with the tone. You can't see it as much in the render as the strong lighting hides it, but each progressive story is a darker tone than the one below. You can see the different tones in the texture sheets. I basically broke them down into light, middle and dark tones and then added different tones in areas I wanted to pop.
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Wow that looks awesome.
    I agree with the colour variation comment, but as you said thats a style choice and one I can understand.
  • milla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    milla polycounter lvl 18
    That's really beautiful - nice work, and best of luck with the job!
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I made the mistake of glancing over this thread the first time. Kind of a "Oh ok, a building. Neat.", and then I moved on. This time I clicked the thumbs and wow, I sure am glad I viewed them at full size! The amount of detail you put into the texture really makes the building come alive when viewed up close.

Great job Kman, congrats on the job!