Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Painter Doodles

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
cythraul_scene07.jpg

Just getting back to painting after a break.

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ror thats great. I've always been a fan of your work. My only crit, and this is subjective, is to show off the background a little more. Put some more detail in to it, ya know?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cythraul_scene07b.jpg

Thanks, I refined things a little more.
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    Been watching Mononoke? wink.gif

Frank the Avenger
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually no, not recently; but now that you mentioned it I can see the connection!

wandering.jpg
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Rorshach
    Nice work there (as usual). It's good to see people using Painter over Photoshop for a change.

Can I ask, what medium do you use to paint with or does it depend on the subject matter?

Cheers,

-Fordy
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I'm still experimenting most of the time I paint, I dont really have a preferred medium or process yet that I rely on.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Oh dude that last one rocks. The texture on his face is so awesome! I might use this picture for some inspiration if/when I do a weapon for my tiki man.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    the last pic looks very kool, loving the background lighting and the staff tongue.gif
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work as usual Rors.
    The last pic im not so sure the head fits with the body....i dont know maybe its just me..
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zel:Do you mean his face doesnt have the same character or do you mean its out of scale?

boom.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to see you do some more perspective studies in these things, because you often get the most basic things wrong, and it takes away from the image as a whole (because it doesn't seem to be 'a style issue')
    Not to say i doubt you COULD do it properly, it's just that you're apparantly not comfortable enough with it to be able to just wing it, and it seems as if it'd be an afterthought for you. Also, i love this last one for it's colours and textures, and it's quite succesfull as an experiment.
    But yeah, it's as if you see everything as being quite flat, and it's the one thing i'd pursue further if i where you. Also, i think texturing plays a large part in it as well, because i know alot of texture artists who may be quite good at perspective, but manage to portray things rather 1-dimensional in Photoshop smile.gif
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    yup
    I truly agree with migjtypea, All of the pieces in this thread feel kinda ruined by the lack of right/interesting proportion, and perspective.

Like he said, U are good with textures and colors , but realy lacking the 2 others.

My IMo anyway.

b1ll
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    funny , i was doing tryouts on forshortening today .. trying to get hands to look right while forshortened is pretty hard ...
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye. I guess it is time I got round to the perspective and scale issues. I've had fun the last year experimenting with colour and lighting but it's about time I starting putting some more logic into the work and less emotion.
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    I guess I mean out of scale but I realize you might have wanted to give him a big head, It's just that his face is big and meaty but the body is skinny and sinewy almost skeletal.
    As I said maybe it's just me.
    That last one is good, I really like that blue.

[edit] I meant the blue glow effect thing near his waist laugh.gif[/edit]
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Everyone likes Rorshach's blue!
    Cool stuff, I like the images but I agree about the perspective/proportion comments - just needs that extra bit of technical accuracy to the sizes and relations of things and then this stuff will be perfect, I reckon.
    I always love the colours and lighting you choose, just often for me the characters or creatures you depict with these fantastic colours do not quite live up to what they "could" be, if you know what I mean. Not design-wise, but from a figure construction point of view. Man, I suck at making clear and obvious comments! But I guess you know what I'm getting at... smile.gif

MoP