Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concept Pistol

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
BackSlash polycounter lvl 18
I posted this a day or two before the old boards died so here it goes again. I hope you like it, suggestions are encouraged laugh.gif

fang_concept.jpg
fang_model.jpg
fang_skinned.jpg

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You did a really good job with the execution of the model from concept to finished product. I really like the design of this pistol that had sex with a shotgun. Can you post some wire-shots for us to check out?
  • BackSlash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya sure, here is a wire shot.

wire.jpg
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Well pistols who's loader that hinge on the front bottom, rather then on the more recognised side loaders have been made. The reason they havent been more prolific is due to their tendancy to break at the hinge over time. Very cool style in a game though.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    If this is for a game I'd fix up those n-gons. This is something I learned when I was modelling the environmental stuff (the purple alien world). Anyway, looks great otherwise.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    there seems to be alot of wasted polys. some of that detail could have been put into the texture very easily.

the concept looks really nice, the texture could use some work on the color aspect, its all shaded with black and white, and its making it look really washed out and fake. try using a bit of color in your shadows and highlights.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    uhh... what details do you think should have been textured, poop? The compensator? I like it how it is - there's no point in relying on texture to accomplish that sort of thing if you have the polycount to legitimately model it.

Very cool design, BackSlash, I dig it. I'd try smoothing out the geometry on the trigger/hand guard a bit. Some parts are narrower than others and the peak curve is a bit too obviously angular compared to the rest of its length.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    You've heard this before: what about bringing in the wood grain from the concept to the texture. Also, the end of the barrel metal looks different than the rest of the weapon, a bit bright, and lacking the edge detail of the rest.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and i said this in the other thread but ill say it again too since it hasnt changed at all since then: you should use some smaller brushes for your highlights/shadows because the look really blured right now and i think the shadows are way too dark too going totally black in some spots tho that might be your lighting... also painting some specular on the oposite of where you have your highlights to give the apperance of multiple light sources would probally look good too

edit: heres a quick dodge/burn paintover i did to show you some of the things im talking about, that shadow at the end of the barrel is also really weird o_O... the wood probally looks too shiney now but i hope you get what im talking about with smaller brushes to fake specular, that is of course unless you have a specular map then everything i said is moot(except the shadow stuff)...
    paintover.jpg
  • BackSlash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys, great suggestions, I really like the idea of adding some colours to it. I see what you mean earthquake and I will make some changes. As far as making the wood grains from the concept; I am not so hot at wood in photoshop, anyone got any good techniques? As for the odd shadow at the barrel, its not a shadow its just burt for the smoke of the shots. Sorry earthquake I never saw what you put in the other thread since the forums went down.
  • Surgey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surgey polycounter lvl 18
    Really cool! I don't know why, but it reminds me of an old steampunkish revolver. That or some type of futuristic revolver. Cool.
  • SjetvsKerrigan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SjetvsKerrigan polycounter lvl 18
    The render with the gun broken open makes the hinge look quite weak, like the gun might easily break there.