Home Career & Education

Getting Started in CGI and seeking Informations and advices

Oryl
null
Offline / Send Message
Oryl null
Hello everyone.

I did not know where to write this so if i'm not, well, i'm sorry.

For a long time I was searching my path without finding it and trying alot of different things without liking what I was doing really. 
I did some photography, Video editing, Video shooting, Post-production (Color Grading, basic compositing, Keying, tracking and so on), I learnt some Photoshop, AE, DaVinci, Avid MC and so many more software without really diving in depth in each one of them. And this for a reason.

I didnt find my path in any of these things I was doing and most important didnt really like what I was doing. I mean I do like all these things but not like something you know you're meant to do. And that is why I kept trying different things and learning different things until I get that feel wich will tell me: You got it, This is what you want to do. I'm 28 and I was afraid to never find something that will drive me.

A month ago, I visited an animation studio while its open days. And from the begining to the end I was amazaed by every aspects of a production. While you can see people modeling and some others Lighting, and others again Shading you realize that it is based on teamwork from A to Z and that the synergy must be perfect.

But all these things didnt gave that feel I was looking for until I spent 3 entire hours just looking at someone animating Rigged models for a result of a 3 seconds animation and right after 2 hours more when an artist did some FX on the Animated Model. And this is when the feel i'm talking about since the begining flowed.
It might sound ridiculous but I was happy, because I knew that i'd do everything I could to do this with my life.

I worked enough to save and live correctly for the coming 2/3 Years to fully commit to the learning of CG Basic and Then Animation or FX.
But even with all the motivation I have I still have some questions unanswered and I truly didnt want to check other forums or even this one looking for other similar post as each situation is different from someone to another based on multiple factors.
So here are my questions, i'll try to be the most accurate possible:

Will 2/3 Years be enough to acquire solid knowledge of tools and basic techniques in Animation or FX?  On a daily basis of 5-7 hours a day and 6 days per week?

Will I acquire enough experience to make it something I could live from? I don't mind Not having a huge job in Top Animation/Game Studios as long as I do what I like. (Don't get me wrong though! I'll still try to aim higher and higher to push my limits. I'm just being realistic.)

At 28 years old with everything you know from what I wrote, Is it "too late" to get in the CGI field? Can it be the turn I needed to find a career I wanted even as sel thaught?

Final but not Least. Even with all these questions I'd stick to my thoughts and to what my guts says but I'd like to see your answers and know what are your opinions. Also if you have some advices on a path to follow to get the most efficient way to learn and acquire all Basic knowledge of any aspects of CGI and then specialize on Animation or FX. I'd prefer to learn basic just so I can know how things work.
Also if You know wich tools/software I should get (Price is not a problem as I saved decent amount to get them)

Thanks for those who read until then end and to those who will give me answer and advices, it is much appreciated.
Also sorry for my english as it is not my native language.
Again, Thank you!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    In regards to your bold questions:

Yes.

Maybe.  Depends on how good of work you get in your portfolio.  Also depends if you work for projects inbetween.  Are you planning to freelance within those 2 or 3 years, or apply to places?

No, it's not too late.

At this huge. admittedly wide look at the road ahead, what will help the most is you specifically trying to get one project done.  No matter what challenges come up, you'll usually have a clear objective to hit by the end of each baby step challenge.  For me, it was about getting a character working in a game.  For you, it'll be something else.

• Oryl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oryl null
    If I get decent skills then yes I'll go the freelance way to keep learning at the same time. And If I get the chance to take part in projects obviously i'll go if I get interested, whether they are personal or non-personal projects
    To help me specialize and make an attractive portfolio i'd probably do something as fully animating an entire scene as a first goal to reach or compositing an entire scene with all its FX depending on what i'll specialize in but yes i'll always set goals to reach as a begining and others when I will reach them.

Thanks you for all your answers and advices.