Home Technical Talk

Good ZModeler Tutorials?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Zack Maxwell interpolator
I've recently decided to start actually giving ZModeler in ZBrush a chance, and it seems to have way more potential than I ever gave it credit for. It seems like it could actually be very fast and powerful when used properly, but the workflow is very alien from traditional polymodeling.
Grasping what the tools functionally do is one thing, but the approach needed for it is something else entirely, with everything made to be extremely quick and freeform, without a lot of exact control.
I was hoping to find some good videos on how to make effective use of it, but it's been difficult. I've found some decent ones here and there, like Michael Pavlovich's stuff. But the majority of it falls into one of a few categories;
1) The person isn't accustomed to the workflow, and everything goes laughably slow and turns out blocky.
2) It turns out to just be a dry video-manual overview of the tool's functions.
3) The audio is terrible and I either can't understand what is being said even with maxed volume, or keep nodding off from the low, monotonous tones. Alternatively, many are just timelapses with no audio whatsoever.

I'm hoping someone could point me to some good tutorials on using it. Ones focused on the process of actually creating things.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    something I've been interested in as well, and in the same boat. I usually try to do something simple with zmodeler, but the fact that I don't have anything akin to maya's multi-cut tool throws me in a bind everytime, so I give up and go back to maya. From what I've read here and elsewhere, Zmodeler is like, an unfinished alpha type of tool. 

Either way, I'd love to either move completely into Zbrush for all modeling, or phase Zbrush out and move into Mudbox. Unfortunately, Zbrush has a few tools that are so good, it still makes the most sense to me to keep with autodesk and zbrush together.

Sorry no answer for the topic question.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's part of what I'm talking about. It's easy to try using it the way you would something like Maya, but the workflow is fundamentally different. Far as I can tell, the topology is only important in so far as it allows you to quickly make extrusions, bevels etc.
    Depending on what you're trying to do with those cuts, you would probably use booleans instead to either carve out the geometry, or paste it on.
    The Ctrl+Shift slices work as well.
    I'd almost never try to use it to get clean lowpoly geometry, but instead to create the base for a highpoly which would get retopologized later.
    At first it might seem inefficient to create something you'll have to retopologize when you could have otherwise avoided it, but that's part of how I originally underestimated it.
    The sheer speed of the tools themselves and the ability to mostly ignore topology, combined with how easily something like Maya can do retopo anyway, seems to have a pretty impressive result.
    Normally there'd be a lot of points where you pause and consider how to model out a particular shape, but in ZBrush you just say "^#$! it" and throw a boolean at it.

I've also grown accustomed to matching things up perfectly in other tools. Possibly too much. But in ZBrush you pretty much just eyeball it, which has turned out okay so far; if it looks fine, that's all that actually matters. Even if a surface isn't perfectly level, or a couple pieces aren't perfectly symmetrical, if you don't see it then someone randomly glancing certainly won't.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BIGTIMEMASTER I've actually just found out that Point > Bridge > Two Points functions like Multi Cut in maya, as you can see here.
    Only caveat is that it goes directly from point to point, so you cant make a split partway down an edge with it. You'll have to use Edge > Split to do that.
    But since one is a point tool and the other is an edge tool, you can have them both active simultaneously.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    N-Gons are totally illegal in ZB(it will never create them), so you can never model as freely as you would in your DCC.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -Edit- Forget my stupidity, I'm too tired to recognize the difference between Quads and NGons.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Thanks for that tidbit. I'll give it a go next time the need arises. I don't think I'll ever take the time to try and get as proficient with zmodeler as I am in maya, but it would be nice to not have to switch programs when i just need to make some quick topology edits. I mean, I have used it enough to be able to do that mostly, but lacking something akin to multi-cut really messes me up. I feel like whenever I want to reroute an edgeloop, I have to use like 5 different tools in a really inefficient way to do so.