Home Technical Talk

[Maya 2017] Help making ik scapula rig

noface789
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
noface789 polycounter lvl 2
Hi all, as the title says I'm trying to make what I imagine to be a simple scapula rig with ik splines, if I could attach the file here, I would. But basically I have a rotate-plane solver from 1 to 3 and single-chain solvers from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4. As you can maybe guess 1 would be the wrist, 2 the elbow, 3 the shoulder, and 4 the scapula.

I'm trying to make it so that when the wrist moves up and down, it pulls the scapula along like a real one would, and when you pull the wrist past the shoulder upward, the shoulder joint should be restricted in how much it can bend, and the scapula should be the only one allowed to pivot the arm upwards, like raising your arms above your head.

I managed to get the wrist to move the scapula when you translate it up and down but it's activating too early. I tried playing around with the IK weights and priorities in the attribute editor so maybe the rotation-plane as the highest priority spline would be able to move without prematurely affecting the scapula, but after tweaking the priority settings for a while I can't seem to get any discernible difference.

Am I implementing this rig the right way? I'm not married to this method and would like to hear suggestions. Simpler obviously better.

Replies