Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning Substance Designer | Art Dump |

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
AlirezaMorgan polycounter lvl 6
hi guys
 I'm an environment artist trying to get better at material creation using Substance Designer , so i started a learning process trying to create materials in some little time i have after work.
the reason i created a topic is that i need your help and critics ,so you would be making me a happy artist if you'd be kind enough to criticize my work or even to introduce me to helpful articles and tutorials.
here is the first material i created using substance designer .i did this a couple of months ago after watching a tutorial by Rogelio Olguin
right now i'm really into josh lynch's tutorials on his gumroad page . some of the best i've seen and probably my favorite tutorials . check him out
https://gumroad.com/artofjoshlynch
thank a lot guys

Replies

• AlirezaMorgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another material i worked on off of a tutorial by pluralsight

• Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    off to a very good start I would say. I would recommend focusing on the albedo a bit more. try to synch it more with form.
  • AlirezaMorgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    off to a very good start I would say. I would recommend focusing on the albedo a bit more. try to synch it more with form.
    yes i think on both textures albedo is one of the weaknesses 
    i'll try to refine it a bit . i'll post the resaults here
    thank you for your feedback
  • AlirezaMorgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The latest texture i worked on 
    Thanks to Josh Lynch for his awesome tutorial
    I'm not happy with the results and i think i can still learn more from it so i'll probably do this texture again or at least i'll go back and tweak the parameters  and because of that i appreciate it if you would give me some feedback

• AlirezaMorgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CobbleStone Study off of jush lynch's work
    need to enhance it a little bit more . feedbacks are welcome

• Max_Kutsenko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max_Kutsenko triangle
    Hi AlirezaMorgan,

Very good start, I especially like the shape of the stones you made based on pluralsight.

I am also learning Substance myself and I can give you some feedback based on the critique I received myself. As one member pointed out you need to focus on Albedo, but you are already working on it ;)

IMHO, your first cobble stone material has too many cracks in it, it seems every single stone is broken, which is probably a rare occasion in nature. I would create a random mask in "tile generator" and blend it as opacity, so the cracks are sporadic and only visible on some stones. You can also use a "directional node" warp and feed your "tile generator" with varied luminosity values into Intensity input. This will displace your cracks based on the value of each individual brick so the cracks are randomized and it does not look like you just applied a cell node to it. See my pics for the example. First is without directional warp and second is with. 

As for the sand, I´d say add more variety to your little pebbles in terms of albedo, as they look monotonous and again your "cell" node looks too obvious on the sand, break it up more with some more variation. Look at the picture I took the other day, notice how varied dips and rises look, Joshua's sand also looks really organic so you do not see any obvious patterns, introduce some more noises. Pigeon prints are neat btw ;) if you introduce some footprints, I would add some sole pattern to it as shoe footprints are rarely plain.

I hope this have been helpful and keep up good work.

Max
  • AlirezaMorgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi AlirezaMorgan,

Very good start, I especially like the shape of the stones you made based on pluralsight.

I am also learning Substance myself and I can give you some feedback based on the critique I received myself. As one member pointed out you need to focus on Albedo, but you are already working on it ;)

IMHO, your first cobble stone material has too many cracks in it, it seems every single stone is broken, which is probably a rare occasion in nature. I would create a random mask in "tile generator" and blend it as opacity, so the cracks are sporadic and only visible on some stones. You can also use a "directional node" warp and feed your "tile generator" with varied luminosity values into Intensity input. This will displace your cracks based on the value of each individual brick so the cracks are randomized and it does not look like you just applied a cell node to it. See my pics for the example. First is without directional warp and second is with. 

As for the sand, I´d say add more variety to your little pebbles in terms of albedo, as they look monotonous and again your "cell" node looks too obvious on the sand, break it up more with some more variation. Look at the picture I took the other day, notice how varied dips and rises look, Joshua's sand also looks really organic so you do not see any obvious patterns, introduce some more noises. Pigeon prints are neat btw ;) if you introduce some footprints, I would add some sole pattern to it as shoe footprints are rarely plain.

I hope this have been helpful and keep up good work.

Max

Man thank you so much for spending the time to give me some feedback
    i agree with most of what you say 
    the cracking thecnique is really neat josh lynch talks about it on his cobblestone tutorial 
    as for the sand i'll try my best im actually doing the sand material again from the scratch and this time im gonna try to get that organic feel

• AlirezaMorgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    were able to finish this one a while ago . im working on some new stuff now
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/gE5dL
    share your feedback  :):)
    -----------------------------

• AlirezaMorgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys
    im doing a brick texture study
    here's the WIP no Albedos and just a base roughness
    i'll probably change the brick shapes and make some small ones in the middle