Home Technical Talk

Head unwrapping - methods

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
For some time i had issue with unwrapping UVs for head and it made me very curious about where do you guys place seams when working on character?

Initially i always placed them around upper side of neck and going around back of skull but that always results with the face being squashed and actual scull taking up massive part of UV space. Another approach i saw was cutting underneath the jaw, going behind the ear and over the top of forehead, but i imagine this approach being rather bad when creating bald character.

My primary issue lies with nose always lacking details which makes entire face look rather low quality. 

Lately on artstation i saw some characters even in marmoset preview, i don't believe they were using 8k textures, more likely 2k yet they face normal map quality was very high, there were no problems with texel density around nose which is usually the case with my UVs.

There is also possibility that my UVs are just bad and i'm not familiar with certain tools for UV Unwrapping that could help me address this problem.

all comments are welcome :)

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Posting some pics is a good way to get feedback.
  • Aydhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    Was at work when I posted thread, but you've made a really good point Eric!

here, as you can see in first example i've cut directly around the face. This allowed me to really adjust size of the UV island bigger for face, but at the same time resulted with rather ugly seam on top of head(It wasn't that much of a big deal with substance designer but still didnt feel right.

On the 2nd screen i've unwrapped face along with back of the head, but this made back of head occupy quite significant amount of UV space even though it was under hair.

I know that in Lollipop Chainsaw for instance, Grasshopper Manufacture completely removed top of the head since it was hidden under hair, so i know it depends on job really but i'm wondering if there's some optimal way.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I just unwrap VFX-style. Chop it into as many islands as is needed to ensure the least distortion. I'll be 3D texturing it in S Painter or Mari anyway so it doesn't matter.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I find doing the above  is a good way to start.  I then stitch it back together and try to preserve proportion as best I can - max has really powerful relax tools which help blend the shells together.

I try to avoid too many shells as it can have an impact on LODs 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it's similar to running a flatten mapping on hard-surface and then stitching back together. But, the days of the old 'photoshop' layout that OP posted should be behind us now. It was always a bitch to minimise distortion on areas like the nose.
  • Aydhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    Yes, it's similar to running a flatten mapping on hard-surface and then stitching back together. But, the days of the old 'photoshop' layout that OP posted should be behind us now. It was always a bitch to minimise distortion on areas like the nose.
    Well, thing is that even when you use substance painter, when you make seams then they will be visible. On top of that they completely destroy mesh when you're using normal details so this approach in many aspects is necessary, i mean you don't want to have visible seam going through middle of face, do you?
    Though, idea of slicing into as many islands as you need then stiching it together, i think it may work. Will give it a try.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    same here when i tried substance painter - seams were always clearly on display, long before any mip mapping or filtering was applied.
    you can of course paint over them in a way so that they vanish e.g. in mudbox or mari but you'll rob yourselves of the ability to just quickly tweak the texture in 2D, e.g. by overlaying a pattern. you'd have to always go 3D and those paint tools aren't quite as good and versatile as photoshop for some things.

anyway, here's a recent one from me. i've not done unique unwraps for years now, just keep reusing the same head and uv layout for more or less everything - like i guess most productions tend to handle it. you'd be surprised with how much distortion you can get away on organic surfaces anyway.

most game unwraps i've seen are very similar, some do angle the projection slightly upwards to better catch the underside of nose and eyebrow ridge. i just can't be bothered to render all my existing skin pattern textures incompatible.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    thomasp said:

this is shooting a camera projection, grabbing the outside UV's and unfold/optimize them? Seems like the sides of the head would have extreme stretching? Maybe unless you are giving 2k space to the face alone, that stretching can't be seen? 

Asking because I see stuff like this a lot but I only know the old fashioned "photoshop" way as somebody above called it.
  • Aydhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    thomasp said:

this is shooting a camera projection, grabbing the outside UV's and unfold/optimize them? Seems like the sides of the head would have extreme stretching? Maybe unless you are giving 2k space to the face alone, that stretching can't be seen? 

Asking because I see stuff like this a lot but I only know the old fashioned "photoshop" way as somebody above called it.
    back of head is usually under hair, so i assume that for as long as you're not making bald character, it won't matter.

Using same head and just creating different texture sets, i wonder how exactly do you transfer details over. Do you have genuine face basemesh and then just match it to the new sculpt you make every time? I doubt all your characters are clones after all :P
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    what you got there is a classic case of what i call an "O-face" in your unwrap. your eyes and mouth fell too automatically relaxed. the first thing i would do is close the eyes slightly to gain more space on the eyelids.

max has a fantastic feature to handle things like that. temporary welding of unconnected points. you will have to run a script to activate it in newer versions of max. will have to search for the command but it is still possible in newer max versions

you an also use it to straighten what i call banana fingers

you could argue you using the pinning and relax functions do the same. but not really. as they will hard pin the verts in space. while my method allows them to relax and xhange their position

musashidan said:
    I just unwrap VFX-style. Chop it into as many islands as is needed to ensure the least distortion. I'll be 3D texturing it in S Painter or Mari anyway so it doesn't matter.

the problem with that approach is, texture and uv compression are a non issue for vfx folks. while in games they are still a harsh reality
  • Aydhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    this is amazing! I must look into it
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
     run this script.

$.modifiers[#Unwrap_UVW].weldOnlyShared = false

Don't forget to Open the edges again and move them a Bit apart for padding
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Neox yes, 100% mate.  Real-time character work doesn't have the luxury of UDIM texturing, but with next-gen assets you can afford to have the face on its own texture sheet. NPCs and background characters aren't going to matter as much as seams/mipping will be unnoticeable for the most part.  @thomasp As for the benefits of photoshop for editing traditional face layouts this can just as easily be done in Mari or SP. I just think that painting in 3d directly on the model as you view it is far, far superior to winging it in 2D and testing back in your 3d app. I spent years texturing in 2D and never want to fully return if I can help it. :)

Sub Painter's weakness has always been its poor handling of seams. It has improved a fair bit since version 1, but not entirely seamless. That's why I bake character heads in SP and texture paint in Mari.

very useful script by the way. Thanks for sharing.
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
    anyone know how to achieve that result in maya that @tomasp has??
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Sure. I can't say how thomasp did it himself but should be achievable just grabbing individual UV's, pinning, and then unfolding.

First grab the borders , scoot them out and straighten them, pin them, then invert selection and unfold. Grab the Uv's of the face only and scale it down to about what you want, then invert again and unfold/optimize.

p.s. your latest character for the artstation contest is pretty awesome!
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks alot! i will try your suggestion asap when i am at my computer!
    Thanks again for your nice words :)