Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Clock Tower Apartment (UE4)

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Spag_Eddy greentooth

Good day everyone!

About a year ago I decided that I wasn't happy with my career and needed to make a change. I had dabbled in 3D modeling a little bit here and there and really loved it, but never had any time to actually learn or get any better at it. So, I did one of the crazier things a human can do and left the career I had been in for way too god damn long to go into debt and focus entirely on learning 3D art. Because happiness. And stuff. Around mid-January of this year, I started feeling comfortable enough with my overall progress and skill level that I wanted to start focusing more directly on video game art. Up to that point I was just modeling/texturing with no specific restrictions in mind. By late February I felt pretty comfortable with the basics of game art and wanted to create a project that would challenge me and help me improve and understand the whole pipeline, which at the time I was having a difficult time piecing together. This is the the outcome of that project.

Being that I am still new to this and obviously lack many of the skills needed to produce something respectable enough to be noticed by anyone who is anyone, I call upon ye patrons of Polycount to critique, rip apart and completely hurt my feelings in all the harshest of ways in an effort to improve not only my scene, but my overall understanding of things. I want to be the best, and I want my own 80's montage every time I walk down a street. I feel like I have been looking at my scene for so long, it's starting to look like just a bunch of blobs. So you see, I need some fresh eyeballs. 

I know my lighting isn't very good, I'm still working on how to improve it. So if anyone has any tips, I will high-five you forever. Also, I plan on adding a few more things (mostly some minor props for the floor so it doesn't look so boring/clean/barren). And as much time and effort as I have put into this whole thing, I'm sure it looks like complete shit to someone who has been doing this for longer than a year. So, rip away!

Also, thanks in advance for your help/advice! 

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Have you taken a look at the archvis projects Unreal has in their marketplace for free?
  • Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    Have you taken a look at the archvis projects Unreal has in their marketplace for free?
    I have not, no. But I should. And by should, I mean will. Is this in regards to my horrific lighting? Or is the whole thing in general a complete mess?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    I will check some out. Thanks!
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    It's a good start, I think figuring out how to light the scene would go a long way towards making it look nicer. I think a lot of the other issues are just beginner ones that will come from experience and looking at other people's art online. 
  • Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    It's a good start, I think figuring out how to light the scene would go a long way towards making it look nicer. I think a lot of the other issues are just beginner ones that will come from experience and looking at other people's art online. 
    Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I was up until the wee hours of the morning trying to develop a better understanding of lighting and will continue to do so throughout today, and probably tomorrow, and maybe forever. Who knows. Hopefully one day I can look back and laugh at how challenging something seemingly so simple turned out to be!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What story are you trying to tell here speccifically?  Who lives in this room?
  • JustinT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinT polycounter lvl 2
    I agree with what the others have said here, it's not a bad start but to really give this place more visual interest you should probably come up with a few more creative design pieces. Apart from the antler stand (is that thing it's holding a sword?) almost all the props seem to be "blocky" in nature, like a simple cube or cylinder base with a few extrusions. I'm not sure what story you're trying to tell, but I recommend looking up creative interior design. Even googling "clock tower room" comes up with some interesting prop design and placement. Also, if you can envision what the outside of your clock tower looks like that should help solidify what you might see inside (eg. if it looks modern on the outside, you'd see a very slick/polished interior, if it looks historic/archaic there'd probably be a lot of gizmos/gadgets lying about). Hope that helps!
  • X-One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    Hey man, it's a pretty good start. You are right; lighting will make this look much better than it currently does.

When I'm lighting, the first thing I do is look for my main source of light. Exteriors get a Sun, Interiors get one main light. Pay attention to intensity, colour and angle (if relevant) as those three elements go a long way to establish the mood of your scene.

Make sure you have lightmap UVs and bake your scene with some level of GI. Once you've done that, and you feel like you're getting somewhere, then start adding secondary and tertiary lights. 

Until you've pinned things down to some extent, don't bake at a high quality level. Early on, you'll want to be doing quite a bit of significant lighting changes, so baking at production quality is just going to waste you a lot of time. 

• Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    Thanks for the feedback, guys! It means a lot to me. It can be hard to tell what you're doing wrong (or not doing at all) when you're locked in a room all day by yourself with no one giving you critiques, so this helps a bunch. I'm gonna take all of your feedback and keep chipping away and hopefully I can improve, thanks for being such an awesome community!
  • Spag_Eddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    Hi guys, I'm back! I've spent the last month or so taking your feedback and trying to right all of my wrongs and try to bring more life and personality into my scene, and would appreciate any feedback if you have the time. Thank you! Lighting is still my Achilles heel. I stuck to one main stationary light to light the overall scene, as suggested, and then everything else is a minor (low intensity) static light. and while it definitely looks better, I still feel like it's missing something. Anyway, Here is the updated scene in Unreal: