Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Seeking some advice / help on a prop

Hey everyone!

So I'm creating a simple Stielhandgranate (stick grenade) as practice and I'm encountering a problem I can't seem to figure out, its probably something super simple but I don't really know how to fully explain the issue so I've attached images and would love some advice on dealing with it.

The problem is when taking the prop into Quixel the uv seems to mess up around the seam but only in the middle and I get these black things that appear but I can't seem to figure out whats wrong with the UV that's causing this problem or how to fix it. My guesses were that its something to do with the seam on the UV as the problem happens where the seam is or the normal map.

How I did the UVs if it helps: Planar mapped the right and the left sides separately - Unfolded separately - Sewed the two sides together - Straightened UVS.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Is that on the texturing from Quixel or the baked maps?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I don't know about the black splotch, but the stretching you see seems to be an issue with the way you have made the UV layout. See in your last checkered image how the squares along the seam are different sizes than the rest of the squares? That is your visual representation that the UV's in that spot do not have the same amount of texel density as elsewhere. So you end up with stretching. 

To fix that part at least, you'll need to select that UV shell and use the Unfold and Optimize tools to get even texel density across the UV shell. That should fix the stretching, and maybe it will help the black splotch as well. If not, hopefully you can find an answer with more research if somebody else here doesn't give an answer.

In some cases, people will do like you have done and straighten out the UV shells so that they can pack things very tightly into a layout, but that is in cases in which some texture stretching is deemed acceptable. Like in the case of objects that would only occupy a tiny part of the screen, and thus the stretching wouldn't be noticed. 
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Black splotch may well be flipped normals in your Mesh.