Anyone experiencing this?
I can't save as, save copy, extrude scale e.t.c,
It keeps crashing badly.

Replies

• kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    what do you expect? its under heavy development right now..
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    Then why release that branch? These are basic stuff that should work. I can't import or even export. The last February version worked better than this. They should keep the older versions available for download if you have to revert back. I mistakenly deleted the February version unfortunately. The latest version has better shadows, and Gi calculations though.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well, just take it as a lesson learned then. It's true for any software package : don't jump to the latest update if you don't absolutely have to.

Your time and your work are more important than a few fancy extra features that are likely going to be buggy anyways.

In other words : keep in mind that programmers are human, they make mistakes.

[edit] I didn't realize that you were talking about an experimental, pre-release branch. So yeah, nothing to declare here, just read the download page more carefully next time :)
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    they are not released, they are just auto compiled each day, because they are nice and open and allow anyone to just play around with it - there has been no official 2.8 release.

A lot of work is going on right now - so chances that more stuff gets broken are also higher. just be patient and check back in 2 months or so.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    It's not a release branch it's experimental. It doesn't matter if it was stable a few months ago, things change a lot when going between version numbers.

The only reason for it to be publicly available is so that people can test the new features and report feedback. If it's crashing, submit the crash log and any other information to their developer page https://developer.blender.org/

I wouldn't moan much about it here.
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    nah right now dont even report - its too early

"currently we are aware of many issues in 2.8 and actively working to fix them. Since replying to reports takes time, we have decided to limit bug reports to module team members"
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    kio said:
    nah right now dont even report - its too early

"currently we are aware of many issues in 2.8 and actively working to fix them. Since replying to reports takes time, we have decided to limit bug reports to module team members"
    Ahh that's fair enough, I don't follow Blender dev but was just trying to speak for software dev on a whole really. I was also beaten to the punch by 2 people ;)
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the info, guys. I am currently finding ways to get around the issues. Some have worked so far