Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Viera NPC - Final Fantasy XII - Retrogasm 2018 [WIP]

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
TomGT polycounter
Hey everyone! I will be creating a Viera NPC from Final Fantasy XII for Retrogasm 2018. 

The goal of the competition is to take an old (PS2 and back) character and get it up to today's standards. Style can range from handpainted to full realistic PBR.

I chose to do a generic Viera NPC, to give myself some leeway to concept out my own take on the Viera. All in all the character needs to fit straight into Final Fantasy 12 as if it was made in the present day. 

As homage to Final Fantasy XII's beautiful handpainted textures, I will be doing this handpainted too! Hope to do this game justice.

Below are some early explorations. I am also looking to concept out a companion or two for her, which could be:

- A Chocobo
- An Ivalice Moogle (the one with the bunny ears kupo!)
- A Male Viera (Has never appeared in the game, but is mentioned in lore. Keen to make one up)

Rough Bust Sculpt, with Paintover:

Concept Sketch:

Trying to set her attire up with Noveau-inspired equipment and use a Butterfly motif, which plays into the forest habitat of the Viera. Also trying to hint at a Black Mage type of character. This NPC has a job!

Reference Board:

Just a bunch of Viera (also Moogles!) around Ivalice, from various games. I included Fran in here as a point of reference as something to NOT overtake in terms of silhouette. This character I am making needs to feel more 'background' instead of the main cast.

I also included some concepts that Square Enix did for a Male Viera that they experimented with for FFXIV. The Viera race never made the cut, so there's potential here for me to jump in and do one for the fans ;)