Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Time Post - ACR Bushmaster

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Interface polycounter lvl 3
Hello everyone, this is my model of an ACR Bushmaster. I've spent so many hours on this model alone, but something went wrong during the conversion from low to hi poly. And now I have just a hi poly model :sweat_smile: I basically did an operation(That applied all modifiers) and couldn't ctrl+z afterwards. At the moment the rifle has something like 200k tris. The low poly count was approximately 60k. I was using floaters(visible all over the main body of the rifle) to get those little details so I can bake them to the normal map. I might just leave the rifle as is instead of moving forward. My reason for this is that I have a very crappy laptop(took me like anywhere from half an hour to an hour to render) and it would just waste my time to continue with this. Anyways, I have more things planned for the future, so I'll be posting more very very soon :wink:

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Ah, that sucks! (your dilemma, not the model)

But you live and learn. The good news is, the more models you complete the more you are going to learn 1. how to avoid this, 2. how to keep reliable backups, and 3. how to work in a non-linear way so that you can pretty much go back and alter any part of the process and not feel stuck in an A-B workflow. 

Model looks pretty sweet. Close enough that I'd need to pull up some reference photos and really look over to find any inconsistencies. Good work. And definitely hold onto the model because some months from now or later you may find the motivation to build your low-poly model and texture it. 
  • Interface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interface polycounter lvl 3
    Ah, that sucks! (your dilemma, not the model)

But you live and learn. The good news is, the more models you complete the more you are going to learn 1. how to avoid this, 2. how to keep reliable backups, and 3. how to work in a non-linear way so that you can pretty much go back and alter any part of the process and not feel stuck in an A-B workflow. 

Model looks pretty sweet. Close enough that I'd need to pull up some reference photos and really look over to find any inconsistencies. Good work. And definitely hold onto the model because some months from now or later you may find the motivation to build your low-poly model and texture it. 

I will do and work on all 3 of those things :smiley: thanks for the reply, and I would do the low poly rn and spend another few days on the retopology, but I have another project that I really need to attend to and complete, as well as some other game assets that I want to do as personal work :smile: but I'll definitely be careful with my future works from now on :lol: