Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Stylized Tribal Girl

node
Good evening, guys, first time here in Polycount! I'm happy to finally share one of my first character projects here with you all. I hope to get honest feedback. :smiley:

A friend from college made this very cute concept, and I decided it would be an awesome exercise to model as a game-ready character. 

Tribal Girl concept art by Érica "Mewki" Reis (https://www.artstation.com/mewki)

I have this sculpted in ZBrush at the moment:

Further detailing like below screenshots will be made in the retopology section (in my opinion, it will be better/easier):

I didn't really like her hairballs though, any tips on how to make it better?

I honestly don't know the workflow from ZBrush to Blender to start the retopology. I'm thinking about decimating the model and importing as a .obj file to Blender to start retopo.
General feedback will be appreciated. Thank you very much! :blush:

P.S: I'm trying not to ask for feedback from the concept artist itself since I want it to be a surprise for her and our friends. xD

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Decimate the model and try to get less than 1 million. Not sure about blender, but in Maya you get higher than that and it really bogs down. You don't want to try and work like that. But you'll probably get down to a few hundred thousand without losing your detail. 

Then you do your retopo. You can do it in Zbrush of course, though I prefer to do it in Maya just because I find it easier to get around quick in the viewport. Worth trying it out in both Zbrush and Blender if you don't already know. That way you can decide a preference.

The hair balls -- you might start by making them (the detail clumps) less uniform. Based on your concept, look at the silhouette of her hair. It is very broken up. WIll require a bit of geometry to get that much or perhaps some fancy shader work. Keep in mind, the only thing that matters at this stage is the silhouette. I expect most of the hair detail will come from your texturing. 
  • Lucasthyel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucasthyel node
    Decimate the model and try to get less than 1 million. Not sure about blender, but in Maya you get higher than that and it really bogs down. You don't want to try and work like that. But you'll probably get down to a few hundred thousand without losing your detail. 

Then you do your retopo. You can do it in Zbrush of course, though I prefer to do it in Maya just because I find it easier to get around quick in the viewport. Worth trying it out in both Zbrush and Blender if you don't already know. That way you can decide a preference.

The hair balls -- you might start by making them (the detail clumps) less uniform. Based on your concept, look at the silhouette of her hair. It is very broken up. WIll require a bit of geometry to get that much or perhaps some fancy shader work. Keep in mind, the only thing that matters at this stage is the silhouette. I expect most of the hair detail will come from your texturing. 
    With Blender, at least on my computer, whenever its close to 1 million polys it starts to slow down too. I have Maya student version but I'm more used to Blender retopo tools, even though I like the Maya quad draw a lot. I will actually give a try to retopo in ZBrush, I've seen some methods but never tried myself.

Thanks for the tips on her hairballs, hair is really my weakness, no matter what type. lol
    I'll try to stick only with modeling and texturing for now since I have little to no experience with shaders and related topics. And yes, indeed, most of the detail will come from texturing. 
    Thank you for your time!  :D