Home General Discussion

'Hero' Blender open animation released!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
https://youtu.be/pKmSdY56VtY?t=2m35s

I've played with the Grease Pencil a few time and while it can get finnicky, it holds great potential.
 This short film just confirms every optimism I had for the tool overall.

Man..when 2.8 will be out...

[mod edit: changed shitty title to informative title]

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Technically, Blender already competes (since its shtick is it's all free), but it still needs the mass adoption or a well known studio to receive the major backing of it.

For example, here I am sitting on 3DS Max which is one of the official industry software, and yet there are still studios that are Maya only.  If Max still isn't used everywhere, then Blender has even more work to do....

My prediction though is all this cool stuff Blender is doing could attract more indie or hobbyist artists who make it their first software package instead of having to buy Max/Maya/ToonBoom etc.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    You know he said 2D, right?
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    *Re-reads post*

Yes?
    Axi5 said:
    Well then you know that Max and Maya aren't the main competitors in the 2D space? Or in fact at all.

I didn't say this. I said they were examples of official industry software.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Well then you know that Max and Maya aren't the main competitors in the 2D space? Or in fact at all.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    a few months ago someone here posted a video for a nifty looking max plugin that seems like all the rage for producing anime. sounded like max indeed is a player when it comes to 2D animation.

anyway, it's all just tools and daniel lara has been around for a good while, working with grease pencil in blender.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    If you want to get technical, Max/Maya absolutely have a purpose in the 2D animation.
    It's not unusual for cartoons to use 3D models as part of scenery or actual props. Or that South Park is entirely rendered with Maya (it's way cheaper to digitize the textures instead of the early seasons using real construction paper).

But my main point was about adoption. I don't know any AAA studio that uses Blender. This goes for games,movies,animation etc. 3DS Max is more popular but the fact that it's still not represented  everywhere means Blender has a bigger uphill battle.

• sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

"Blender will soon be considered a serious contender for 2D animation"

For interest's sake, how "soon" in your opinion do you think?

Oh...and happy 20th!, hard to believe it's been that long since Blender went fully open. 

• Shiv0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv0r polycounter lvl 8
    I can see that blender will be in the anime industry a thing. There is already ryo chimo a keyanimator(birdy, noein etc) that tries out blender:

https://youtu.be/SFVliEZimQ0