Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Ruger Mark IV "Target" (SketchUp & Blender)

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Nellorax null
Here is a 3D model I began to make of the Mark IV Target .22 pistol, manufactured by Ruger. A lot of work is left to do on this model, like more moving parts (I only have the slide, magazine and safety for the moment) details, shading corrections, bevel,slide stop, etc.

Please note that I didn't follow ANY 3D modelling formations (I am 16, y'see).

Replies

• Nellorax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nellorax null
    JoshuaG said:
    You're off to a great start. I recommend for future WIPS to have no background color at all, except a grey, with the gun having a glossy dark material. 
    I think I might be able to change the background/remove it, but for the glossy material, I don't think that's built-in SketchUp. But maybe with some plugins...
    Thanks for your comment !
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Ditch the SketchUp and go with Blender, there's no limits.
  • Nellorax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nellorax null
    Ditch the SketchUp and go with Blender, there's no limits.
    Actually, I use them both : SketchUp for basic modelization, and Blender for polishing, texturing, animating, etc.
    That's right, I may toss SketchUp in the trash can, but this is a software I used for my first steps into 3D models, and getting away from it would be hard for me. (Also, I don't feel like I may be able to make my 3D models ONLY in Blender).
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    That's just depending on how much time you're willing to use to learn Blender. And it's not that hard in the end. In the long run, you'll be in "a safe zone" with other polycounters here, since it's harder to find help with SketchUp in here. The sooner you start with Blender the less you get attached to your bad habit, which is using SketchUp for modeling game assets.
  • Nellorax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nellorax null
    That's just depending on how much time you're willing to use to learn Blender. And it's not that hard in the end. In the long run, you'll be in "a safe zone" with other polycounters here, since it's harder to find help with SketchUp in here. The sooner you start with Blender the less you get attached to your bad habit, which is using SketchUp for modeling game assets.
    Thanks for your reply !
    However, I have to be honest : SketchUp is a software I learned to use myself, I didn't watch nor read ANY tutorial.
    Also, I use Blender a lot, but I use it more for polishing/animating purposes. I do a kind of "combo" with the 2 softwares.
    Furthermore, SketchUp has... its way to work, to model with. I mean, yeah, for sure, Blender is the hell of an excellent software, but SketchUp turns out to have a much more "Manual" way to work, it's more intuitive. That's also why I keep using it.
  • Nellorax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nellorax null
    UPDATE 4/11 : Improved the model a bit, and started to see how it'd look in Blender (say hello to shading issues :neutral: ) :

I bevelled some edges, like on the trigger guard, trigger, barrel tip, etc.

N.B. : Forgive me, I was too lazy to crop the toolbar/window bar at the top and bottom :smile:
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Really great work so far. I can give a few pointers because I've got one of these (the MK2 actually, but i think it looks identical). My dogs love it because it goes bang and squirrel-snacks fall from the sky. 

Anyway, you seem to have the right pieces where they belong, but I think the overall proportions might be a little off. Yours is a bit stubby looking and perhaps wider than the gun I am looking at. Perhaps the MKIV is that way, but you might double check your reference to be sure.

Here is a few photos to give a a look a the proportions, specifically the width and length.

Compare the width of the grip with the width of the charging handle and the barrel.

**p.s. it's been awhile since I cleaned this thing. If you want photos of the inside bits, just ask I can take some.
  • Nellorax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nellorax null
    Really great work so far. I can give a few pointers because I've got one of these (the MK2 actually, but i think it looks identical). My dogs love it because it goes bang and squirrel-snacks fall from the sky. 

Anyway, you seem to have the right pieces where they belong, but I think the overall proportions might be a little off. Yours is a bit stubby looking and perhaps wider than the gun I am looking at. Perhaps the MKIV is that way, but you might double check your reference to be sure.

Here is a few photos to give a a look a the proportions, specifically the width and length.

Compare the width of the grip with the width of the charging handle and the barrel.

**p.s. it's been awhile since I cleaned this thing. If you want photos of the inside bits, just ask I can take some.
    Thanks for your reply !
    For the global proportions of the weapon, I think I got them right. I actually used an image of a Ruger MKIV from the official website (I think) and copied the side of the weapon in order to have some accurate propotions.
    Also, your MKII (big thanks for your photos, btw) seems to be really different from the model I try to replicate, which can explain the difference of width between the two models. In order to have a good reference, I used the pictures from the Ruger website (https://ruger.com/products/markIVTarget/models.html) and my models seems a bit accurate to me (even if some things are missing and/or wrongly replicated).