Home Career & Education

Degree or no degree?

cpt_lukica
null
Hello, so currently I'm attending a private school and after half a year spent there it seems to me its just a waster of both time and money, I just don't feel like I'm learning anything new or interesting and I was thinking about dropping out. So my question is, is a college degree really necessary for me to become a 3D artist/modeler, could I still get a job in some big company considering I have experience but no degree?

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    It's not necessary.

But I would also put into consideration how hard other jobs are going to be to get when it's not video games.

Or how much longer it'll take to get another country's Visa with no degree.

The games industry is not any more solid than the movies/film/TV industry.  And I live in the epicenter of that industry in LA.

If you want a degree, I say get it as cheaply as possible if you're this far into debt with it.
  • cpt_lukica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cpt_lukica null
    Thank you for the reply.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Also, read the wiki.  You are not the first nor last who will ask the question you did, fortunately:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry#Education
  • Square_Triangle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was in your position a few years ago. I decided to take part time courses when available and work as many hours as I could while learning on my own. I eventually got the degree, but it was unnecessary. If I had to guestimate, over 50% of the working game artists are self taught. I did take programming courses that were essential, but I did not need a degree (and all the fluffy bunny courses not directly related to what I wanted to learn). I am glad that I took a couple of traditional art courses as well as drawing.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

cpt_lukica wrote:

So my question is, is a college degree really necessary for me to become a 3D artist/modeller...?

Nope!

...could I still get a job in some big company considering I have experience but no degree?

Yep!

If you're not enjoying the college/school experience, then ditch it - pronto!...otherwise an F'ing pointless exercise that'll most likely yield zero results going forward, plus also screwing around with your self esteem besides other related mental health issues...

Anyways most of the dudes I hang with are self-taught, working either freelance or in-studio since Noah was in short pants so really formal learning although predominantly depends upon where you go too begin with is actually not essential snaring a industry role, all that matters at the end of the day is pumping out AAA quality art - period!

• Domslice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Domslice polycounter lvl 8
    Also, read the wiki.  You are not the first nor last who will ask the question you did, fortunately:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry#Education
    With this in mind (and previous threads asking the same) I've normally said School = YES. 

My thoughts on the matter have shifted slightly as of late. It really depends on who you are. 

A couple considerations:

1. Are you highly self-started and motivated? Can you maintain a "freelancer's" schedule, i.e. consistent working hours, discipline, a home work environment?
    2. Do you thrive on feedback, is it valuable to you to have real-world connections (in the flesh not just online). Having a support network can be extremely valuable.
    3. Are you ready for student loans, or are you able to rely on the bank of mom and dad? If you can get a degree without crippling debt, it should be a more appealing option.

Just a few thoughts. Lastly, no they're not essential. But the same ingredients to become a great artist apply school or no school!
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Choosing a good University is hard but its well worth the time spent. 

A world wide competition "The Rookies" is worth looking at. The rankings are based on the quality and performance of student work that is submitted to our judging panel each year.

In the UK we have the Skillset organisation that lists the best courses in the UK.

If you are in the European Union and its cost you are worried about then maybe study in a country that is free like France, Malta. Germany is free for all European and international students, it used to be free for anyone in the world but not sure if that's the case anymore?
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    Having a VISA with degree is pretty much a nightmare,. Soooo take this in consideration ! 
    hf !