Home Career & Education

Aspiring FX Artist Advice

JodyLS27
null
Offline / Send Message
JodyLS27 null
Hi there Everyone, 

So I am (As the Title Says) an aspiring FX Artist.
I am currently working with Houdini Apprentice and learning the Node System. I just cached out my First Explosion and will post it in a Couple of Days.
I'm not Fully Sure yet if I want to go into Games or Film with FX, so I'm going to Try Both Avenues. 

Just some Things about me.
I have worked with Maya, Zbrush, Substance Painter, Marmoset and Substance Designer as I was creating characters but I just feel like doing that Everyday with a Deadline would make something I enjoy taking my time with boring. I still love to Sculpt and do some Characters/Creatures as well as some Environments for them, but there's something about FX that's really Got me Captivated.

So I was thinking of making some Things like Smock and Dust effects, Explosions, Some Jet Engines (Current and Futuristic), Some Destruction, Explosions with Destruction, Mussel Flash Plus Impact effects, Magic and Burning Fire.

So what I wanted to know was is there anything Specific to Focuse on ?
Softwares I should Learn, Technics ?

P.S I just downloaded the Non-Comercial version of Nuke.
I am also not Employed so I cannot pay for any Courses sadly :( but it just means I have to work harder is all and smarter :).

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.
Jody.

Replies

• R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Nuke and Houdini are by far the most popular, take a look at other games and FX artist portfolios to see the quality of work (and type of work) you should aim for.

Also if you want to pursue games, learn how to transfer your FX into UE4, it'll give you a big leg up on the competition.
  • JodyLS27
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JodyLS27 null
    Thank you @R3D
    I Have just Finished my Explosion in Houdini and About to do some Compositing in Nuke so good to know im on the Right foot there :)
    Also Ill be doing another Explosion that will be exclusively for UE4 and a few Other effects.

What about Software's like Smart Particles, Maya Dynamics, FumeFX and so on ? 
    I am also going to be learning some Python and Houdini Vex coding (I think that's what it is called). I have 3 Years experience as a C# dev so it shouldn't take me long to pick up the New Language.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    You can't go wrong by looking at the studios you'd like to work at and see what tools they use/require.