Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bust of Fulgrim of the Emperor's Children

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
terminalnjai polycounter lvl 5
Behold the Phoenician, favored son of Chemos, future demon prince of the Chaos God Slaanesh, Primarch of the Emperor's Children, Fulgrim from the Warhammer 40k universe.

3D model is posted on Sketchfab:
https://sketchfab.com/models/36fa324c5d80475293781703d8784d6e

Please feel free to leave a comment.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Your facial expression is off.  Muscles that should have moved have not.

What was your reference for the expression?
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    I second the facial expression comment, also to me the pupils seem a bit too big
  • adrxzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adrxzero polycount sponsor
    Agree with @Brian "Panda" Choi, please share what references you used. 

Witness the references below: 

You can make out the planes of the face on the image below. 
    Image result for fulgrim

Black Library's rendition:
    Related image

This cosplayer can be a great reference to use:
    Image result for fulgrim
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at the neutral bust sculpt too, the anatomy needs improvement.  Can you provide turnarounds of the head sculpt  in a less specular matcap?
  • terminalnjai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    terminalnjai polycounter lvl 5
    I couldn't find a detailed enough image for the expression so I used a quick look of myself in a mirror. Going forward I'll just take a photo or make a sketch.

@ adrxzero - I have both of the top images but not the cosplayer so thank you for that real world reference.

And here is a matcap of the head sculpt. Moving forward I should build the sculpt around the end expression and not this neutral expression and work on the pupil size. Thank you all for the feedback.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, you should still base your sculpt around an original expression if you intend it for animation or prove the flexibility of your face mesh.  Sculpting for a neutral pose was not the primary reason why your expression is off.  Would you mind sharing the image you took of yourself smirking/smiling that you used as a ref so we can see what fixes can be made to the expression?

The first big thing that sticks out to me about your face sculpt is that the corners of the mouth do not poke into the face, and instead you have them at the same level as the surface of the head.  That's why you have this duck lips going on.  Also, the corners are upturned when they should be slightly downturned.

Your adam's apple is too small and doesn't form on the neck like that.