Home Career & Education

Work in the game industry in Australia with a working holiday visa?

null
Hi everyone!

I'm planning to go to Australia for a year, most likely Brisbane, with a working holiday visa.
I would really like to find a way to keep working in the game industry while being there. I'm not aiming for AAA companies with my current level, I just think it would be awesome to add a bit of work to the australian experience, even if it's just small contracts. I've always wanted to try working in different countries.
I also wonder if it wouldn't be a bad thing to have an "empty year" (no job related to video game) on my resume when I start looking for a job back home.

So my question is, is it possible to work in game companies with that kind of visa? Do companies even consider hiring foreigners on a WHV? Being aware that you can only work 6 months for the same employer with it.

What do you guys think, am I in a total dream or is there a chance?

Thanks!
Ryn

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I think it might be pretty rare that a game studio would hire an artist for just 6 months. By the time you're all trained up, you'll be taking off. There's also not a huge amount of studios down there (comparatively), so that'll make it just that much more difficult.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Just enjoy your holiday, the weather in Queensland is awesome this time of year. Trying to snag a short term gig in AUS is like winning lotto...and besides after the AAA studio system was practically flat earthed here back in 2012, it's doubtful you'd even find a listed vacancy other than a possible opening at an indie company which by the way the local scene had pivoted too since the Feds pulled funding, subsequently nailing the lid shut for domestic big'sh budgeted games dev growth.

So don't forget to pack sunscreen :)
  • JunkieKong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JunkieKong interpolator
    Speaking from experience, forget about a AAA job in Aus  - finding a job in any studio that has anything to do with games is going to be tough. That said, Brisbane is a decent choice of city for it as they have Defiant Dev, Gameloft and Halfbrick.
    If it's your first time Down Under, I would honestly recommend treating it as a holiday and seeing as much as possible instead of being stuck inside a sweaty office. If you want to work and travel, you'll have a lot better luck doing something like bar tending or fruit picking.

Anyway, best of luck! You could see a lot of this island in an entire year, just remember that vegemite is not a substitute for nutella and dropbears can smell foreigner blood.
  • Ryngozilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryngozilla null
    Thank you for your replies guys!

I don't know anything about Australia and didn't find a lot of info about the  game industry there. I guess I'll just keep trying to level up and refining my portfolio while fighting big bugs and getting sunburned then :)

dropbears can smell foreigner blood.
    First time I heard of them, thanks for the big laugh! :D
    Cheers!