Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Andy Taylor

Ndy
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Ndy polycounter lvl 4
Hey everyone! My name is Andy and I'm new to this website. 

I welcome every and all opinions / critiques / and suggestions, and I'll do my best to return the favor!

'Monarch of the Swamp'

This character is inspired by the 'Soulsborne' genre, and will be taken to an animation / implementation stage for a prototype I am working on. I'm fleshing out her characters story / background right now, but what I know for sure is that she was once a beautiful queen, and is now a corrupted mosquito of sorts who stalks the swamps where she lives in exile.

Block In #1

Block in #2 with Colour

Quick render test

Got a little bored, so I decided to play in Substance Painter for a bit. Try and figure out what I want the eyes to look like, and created an alien fruit in the process. 

In Unity - Still learning a lot about lighting as you can see.

Replies

• Ndy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ndy polycounter lvl 4
    Hey everyone, it's been a while. I recently completed this piece for an Character Arist art test. I had 1 month to model, texture, rig and integrate into the asset into UE4's mannequin blueprint. Having never rigged before, I learned a lot a tonne about it, and I think it'll make me a better modeller going forward. 

While gathering reference I came across this concept from Abrar Khan, which I believe to be the original.

You can find more of my work on my artstation.

Any and all critiques are greatly appreciated. I'm pretty burnt out with this character now, so I don't think I'll be doing any changes any time soon, but any advice going forward would be great!

I believe my biggest takeaways / lessons from the piece include:
    • Unbelievable fabric: Need to practice MD -> production pipeline, and put more emphasis on topology, especially regarding folds.
    • Textures / materials could be iterated on to more closely resemble to concept
    • Placing more importance in posture / gesture during the block out phase.

Thanks Polycount :)

• Ndy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ndy polycounter lvl 4

My take on a Wendigo. The wendigo itself is a grotesque outer shell that represents the greed a person holds inside. I tried to represent this.