Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sea of Thieves - Character Art

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
Way back at the Start of Sea of Thieves development, we were tasked with the Design brief that the characters should allow you to "Be the pirate you want to be"...no small feat, when every player will want something different when they hear that!

To give us this ability, as Lead Character Artist, I spearheaded the Character Art team at Rare to start building the Infinite Pirate Generator.  4 years of blood, sweat, late nights, failed Autobacks, lots of swearing and MILLIONS of manually snapped vertices I can show you the results.  This was a huge collaboration between multiple departments, from Character Art working closely with our uber talented Tech-Art team, through to Engineering, Animation and UI.

Enough waffle...here's some tasty images!

NPCs from the Infinite Pirate Generator

NPCs from the Infinite Pirate Generator

IPG generated Characters: Mix of Body Type, Gender, Ethnicity, Facial features and Facial accessories

IPG generated Characters: Mix of Body Type, Ethnicity, Facial features and Facial accessories

IPG generated Characters: Mix of Body Type, Facial features and Facial accessories

IPG Characters: A range of body types

IPG Characters: Initial IPG Maya side head tests

IPG Characters: Initial IPG Maya side head tests...the VERY beginning of the journey!

Replies

• MrBFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrBFox greentooth
    These are great, love the range of shapes and proportions. Do these variations get generated off one base mesh or is there a range for the the different body types?
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrBFox said:
    These are great, love the range of shapes and proportions. Do these variations get generated off one base mesh or is there a range for the the different body types?
    Thanks!  Every character on Sea of Thieves comes from one base mesh - one unique topology to rule them all!  I'd post the topology but I'm not sure if that breaks NDA- it's nothing special really anyway- just a mesh dense enough to hold up when pushed and pulled to these sizes.

Each body size, and accompanying head shape has a different normal map and they get blended together depending on the "weight" of the body.  We do the same thing with certain facial features- when they get picked, we mask a unique normal map on to enhance the shape.  Again, with age we overlay a normal map on to bring some wrinkles on top of all that.  Lots of layers of mesh and textures playing together basically!
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Wow this is really awesome man!! Interesting way of handling the variety of characters. Must have been lots of fun to work on this :)
  • Maxisum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxisum polycounter lvl 5
    Love the art style in this game.  Great job!
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!  This was definitely a fun game to work on, with a really unique art style.  Definitely not without some problems and challenges along the way though!

Just thought I'd post some images of the Character Style Development that I was involved with on the project.  I always love seeing behind the scenes pics from other projects so thought I'd repay the favour ;)

It's great looking back and seeing how the style crystallized from quite loose concept images into something much more cohesive. 

The first 3D Character Asset- used for an internal demo

Paintovers of initially generated heads

Initial 3D sculpting style tests for the hair

Taking this style and applying it to characters from our E3 2015 trailer

The base male body.  All characters are derived from this mesh so it was important that it was 100% perfect!

The base male head

• Olingova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    So cool !! Definitely a really good art direction i love it
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • dGreenberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    Big fan of the style of the game and you did some awesome work on the characters, @FAT_CAP! Thanks for sharing!
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man - glad you're enjoying the style :)
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow - thanks Nerf Bat - glad I could drag you back to post on Polycount!  
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for sharing! Great work!
  • Peterschön
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello friend thank you for upload.  You inspire me so much. I like to sculpt  but i havent  touched on the process of automatically generate  variations of a mesh   could you tell us more about  how that is done?. My second question is i love the handpainted stuff and i smell  3DCoat  am i right on that? :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    impressive work! I hadn't realised how versatile this games character system is! Thats a ton of work! Well done!
  • Apocrs1980
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apocrs1980 polycounter lvl 4
    Great Job @FAT_CAP you guys have done a great job with the game.
    And much respect goes out to you for all your hard work on the characters, they turned out great! :smiley: