Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED] Witch of Hearts (a.k.a. sexy sorceress #493029305)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Rikard86 polycounter lvl 5
Currently in a good spot with this so guess it's time for a Polycount thread.

Here's the next piece I'm working on. Own concept. Goal is hi-def gameres (80-100k tris), to try and push realism a bit more than usual and to properly learn the new Substance Painter.

First of all, posting a bunch of pictures.

Need to make a proper detail pass on the skin . Detail on clothing is pretty much done though, will add another pass directly in Substance probably (mostly extremely fine detail on her jewelry, belts and hat).

Head has already been lowpoly'd, but I sorta did a number on her upper nose so I will probably scratch it and make another retopo. Texture is just baked vertex color with a bit of retouching in Photoshop, hair texture is the same I used on my older characters, although I plan to keep the hair meshl. So yeah, pretty much nothing is final, lots of work to be done here.

Will also be giving her a staff and a spellbook, but those are still in the design phase and are far, far further down the road.

Got plenty of WIP and in-detail pictures laying around but this thread is already image heavy as it is. If you really want to check them out they're on my Instagram account.

I'll make sure to keep this thread updated. Later

Replies

• jacopoS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacopoS polycounter
    Hey, nice job so far.
    For a real time model, you shouldn't bother making her face topology full-quads. There's no benefit in doing so especially if you struggle with keeping a good edge flow all around. Keep in mind that having all of those poles on her nose area is much worst than having a few triangles here and there.
  • Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jacopoS : thank you. At this point I'm undecided between having those loops proceed into her forehead and die there as triangles (covered by her fringe) or cut them short near the nose tip, since they're pretty much there only to keep the shape of the nostrils. I have other stuff to give my attention to now, though.
  • Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doing some experimenting with the skintone in Substance. I'm trying my best but can't seem to make a break through, which is kind of ticking me off. At this point any suggestion on how to push realism a bit more would be appreciated.

also yeah, I opened up her mouth cavity, she can open her mouth now. Planning to pose her face so that might come in handy.

Shader trouble aside, I'm in the middle of retopo atm. Boring.

• Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lowpoly is done, UVs are done, bakes are done. She's around 80k tris now, using 4 main textures (face, body, upper clothing, lower clothing) + an extra 2 materials for hair and lace.

Will be moving onto texturing soon.

• Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texturing and material study is pretty much done, just need to go a bit over some minor details that look a bit off. Got the satin shader to look how I wanted but those speculars are killing me.

Gonna take a short break to design her staff and her spellbook. I'll keep you updated.
  • Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think I'm at a good point with her grimoire so here it is. That chain is really lowpoly but it's just gonna be there to attach it to her belt so I'm not planning to go any higher with it.
    learned a few tricks with leather while working on this so I might go over her boots and straps again.
    staff is next, stay tuned
  • Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well she's rigged and poseable now, there are a few rigging errors but will be fixed before the final version.

TIme to give her that magic staff I've been overlooking for the past few weeks and to look into proper lighting so I can finish her up.
  • Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAGICAL GIRL ROD

Also new lighting.

I suppose I'm pretty much done with her, time to take care of the presentation a bit and then move onto the final renders.  Probably will add a small pedestal and some background FX, although I'm not really sure.

Don't know if I'll be able to do finish her over the weekend, we'll see.
  • laloon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laloon polycounter lvl 2
    That lace detail is super nice, you rarely see good old lace like that anymore :) Really fits the overall design.
  • Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna call her done I guess.

MORE PICTURES + BREAKDOWN: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/WNmDE
    Will probably make a separate Artstation post for the grimoire and the wand.

Welp this thing has been a fucking adventure. Gonna make a sexy guy next I guess.

Remember this, though: never accept to become a magical girl, because if you hit a growth spurt you won't get any more fabric for your costume and will get to fight evil in skimpy clothing