Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Frogship

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
BakertheGameMaker polycounter lvl 8
Done with substance, max and zbrush mostly. There's a lot more that should be done to this piece I feel, but I'm a bit stuck at the moment. I'd love your critiques/opinions/suggestions etc. Thanks!

Replies

• Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    LOL. Are the 'leg' extensions supposed to be landing gear or something else? If they are landing gear then maybe you could render one showing it coming in for landing. If they are supposed to be something else, then personally my brain gets confused as to why they are there.
    Texturing job looks good. Only thing I see is the engine inlets. The glowing white just makes the texture end. At the very least it needs variations and shades so it looks like you are looking through a glow to engine parts, or looking through engine parts to a glow.
    From what I can see you only have the little nozzle as a thrust point, I would consider turning the bigger thing underneath it also into a thrust point. 
  • BakertheGameMaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BakertheGameMaker polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the feedback! The idea for the legs was originally that they would attach to a hull or something, and then spring off. I think they might work better as landing gear or even pontoons or something though. You're absolutely right about the emissive parts; I haven't quite figured out the best way to work with emissive maps in substance. I was planning on using that as a mask for unreal, and making the effect in there. I think I won't keep texturing this piece though; I agree that tiny thruster looks pretty weak to be powering such a big object, and changing that plus some other features of the model will mean pretty drastic changes to the model, new high poly pieces and of course some re unwrapping.

I'll definitely implement your suggestions when I come back to this piece though... thanks again!
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    :D do as you will. I wasn't thinking very drastic at all. Just changing the emissive areas to have more texture and emitting some sort of energy out of the lower larger hole as well as the nozzle when you final render it.
  • OutlawHue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OutlawHue polycounter lvl 8
    Interesting concept. I like the detail work with textures.