Home Career & Education

Please help me to get my mind right.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
RedlChris-_- polycounter lvl 6
Hey everyone,
I have a bit of a changing point in my life right now. I really want to make it into the game industry one day. Maybe working for a big AAA studio (Europe), which has always been a big dream for me. I am currently 24 years old and working as a 3D-Artist for Audi since one and a half years. My Maya skills are intermediate and just for modelling, texturing and rendering cars. In my freetime I am learning Substance Painter, Substance Designer and Marmoset Toolbag in my with tutorials and just working on stuff. My portfolio is at this point right now:
https://www.artstation.com/christophredl It would be great, if you could also give me a feedback on my portfolio.
I am thinking about to make my Bachelor in Game Art & Animation in Munich starting in September and taking exactly 2 years. What do you guys think? Should I just try to get my foot in the industry, with applying for Junior positions or Interns, or get the Bachelor to be on the safe side? Some people are saying I should go for the Bachelor, on the other hand some are saying you don’t need any degree.
So I hope you can help me, because this really grinds my gears.
Greetings,
Christoph

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    IMO, at your skill level you don't need a degree. 

You seem to understand all the fundamentals of 3D modeling in your portfolio. I think the real issue is that game studios are moving away from just hiring prop artists and are looking for people who can composite and setdress environments instead.

See this post by @PixelMasher  where he warns against Portfolios consisting of the usual crate and Postbox.
    http://polycount.com/discussion/comment/2618801/#Comment_2618801

Basically, it's all senior level work you need to aim for. Don't worry or focus on "junior" positions. Those are slowly being automated way and instead, the real meat is in world building. 
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    I agree that a bachelor's program probably won't benefit you much in terms of learning new tools / techniques. That said, if enrolling will afford you 2 years to focus on your portfolio full-time and be around other motivated people, it might be worth it (assuming it won't put you into soul crushing debt that is). Obviously there are a lot of variables specific to your situation so do your due diligence in researching the school, their instructors and admissions standards. It sounds like you have a pretty good gig as a starting point and I'd be cautious in stepping away from that for a formal education. 
  • RedlChris-_-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedlChris-_- polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the help guys, I think I will just go for the Diploma, which is half the money and only one and a half years. Because the Bachelor has so much business stuff, I won't need for working as a Environment Artist. In my free time, I will work full-time on my portfolio.