Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LeMat Revolving Carbine

19ulrich90
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
19ulrich90 polycounter lvl 8
So I'm working on this LeMat rifle. 

I've got this far with my high poly. 

I'm looking for critique about the model so far. I'm a bit worried about some edges being too sharp for baking. I've had the most problems with circled part, where there are different shapes which require more edges than others, so when I apply bevels, some edges are sharper than others. 

How should I tackle such examples? 

Replies

• 19ulrich90
    Offline / Send Message
    Slowly finishing this one. Comments and critiques are welcomed. Will post more screenshots later :)

• 19ulrich90
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more renders :)

• Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Love those materials!
  • 19ulrich90
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Very nice!

There's little if any critique I can offer at this stage other than possibly add rust pitting around the trigger guard area as seen on the ref, also I was going too suggest a solution for your hardedge issue however it's apparent you've got that well sorted out. By the way, very good low poly hardsurface modelling, overall pretty much optimised as far as I can see so again well done.

On a side note if time permits and it's not to much of a hassle for you to begin with me asking, I'd be interested in your thoughts about the workflow generating this model. I'm always curious how other artists approach complex hardsurface (Polygonal) modelling.

Cheers.
  • 19ulrich90
    Offline / Send Message
    @sacboi I used standard highpoly->low poly workflow. Modeled base mesh first, duplicated it, applied bevels on the edges, converted smooth mesh preview to polygons to get high poly. I imported HP to Zbrush to relax the edges since some were too sharp, as I mentioned in a post above. I used base mesh for low poly, deleted edges/connected them on flat surfaces or added extra edges on a surfaces for nicer silhouette. UVed LP, baked maps in Substance Painter, textured it :)
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Maybe the most interesting gun model I have ever seen. Kudo's for finding such an awesome thing to recreate, and kudos for the flawless execution.

To add something besides praise, I like the brightness of the reference model a little more than the renders, as it makes a nice contrast with the yellowish oily parts. But this is just a matter of lighting, I think, and purely one random opinion. 
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    @19ulrich90 Thanks for replying appreciate your insights, I don't have Zbrush in my pipeline just make do with an ad hoc OSS toolset but nonetheless a workable solution. Anyways will keep an eye out for your next project :)
  • 19ulrich90
    Offline / Send Message
    @BIGTIMEMASTER thx for the feedback:) You are actually right, steel texture on my model is darker. I didn't follow exact reference that i posted, since some models of the rifle have darker metal :)

@sacboi No problem, I also don't usually use Zbrush just for relaxing too sharp edges at the end, just tried it with this one :D