Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Flamethrower unit *Critique needed* (And other projects)

solidshark91493
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
solidshark91493 polycounter lvl 6
So this is what I have of this character so far. Its the second time Ive tried to model a character. (Modeled a very low poly Deku scrub for "cryzenx" to use in a UE4 ocarina of time remaster.)

Having issues with the max renderer. Not sure whats up with it. It keeps locking up when its finished, AND when I try to cancel it. But I got a decent enough render out of it and saved it before force closing it. (2016 version mental ray).

Realized you guys probably want a wireframe to give better critique and advice. 

Im using the model by Denis Spichkin as my concept art. model

Mine is a lot higher polycount. And I modeled it in a way I know USED to be used in games for easier animation by giving the knees and elbows extra polys. Id like to try my hand at animating it. (Would love advice on going about that but one step at a time. 

So currently my questions and info are:
1. Is there currently anything Im doing blatantly wrong? 
2. The helmet, gloves, face mask, gas mask, shirt, and pants are all cloned parts of the body "pushed out"
3. The flamethrower was quickly modeled and will most likely be re done. Although I will need to make my own design. 
4. Since I didnt plan on removing the mask or gas mask I didnt model the eyes, or mouth or anything onto the face. Should I?
5. looking for ideas to improve the overall look as I dont really need it to conform completely, just a practice piece and a learning exercise since I generally try hard surface but Im stuck in a big rut.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Replies