Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ithorian

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
I started and finished a steampunk house with the intent of getting more practice in SP. The Ithorian was one of the options for the same project and one of my friends was rather bummed that I didn't pick this character right off. So I ended up doing both concurrently. Please let me know what you think.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The chest harness could stand to be much larger and heftier.

The head seems to be more scrunched vertically than you have it in the 3D render.

Good start
  • audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    Some good points made already.
    If you are going for concept accuracy some more observations.
    I think the feet look way smaller and toes more slender in the concept.
    Hip could be a bit more pronounced too. Also don't forget the purple rubber material with the white stripes on top of the arms.
    Shoulders are a bit too high.
    And white stripes thickness is more varied in concept
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Brian "Panda" Choi edit a zbrush model at the base level after the coloring and texturing has been done in SP? hmmm don't know that I have ever done that before lol. Here goes..
    @audi100 The purple is there already, I just didn't get to post a back view. It runs over the outside of his elbows. Will see what I can do with the rest of it.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Skinner3D said:
    edit a zbrush model at the base level after the coloring and texturing has been done in SP?

Don't be afraid to go back!

One of the great things about Substance Painter is that it is non-destructive. You can update your model, reimport it into Substance Painter, and your paint layers will update to the new mesh. Only if you change the UV's will your paint layers be broken. 
    I do this pretty often, actually. I think it is a good thing. Maybe you got all the way to the texturing of your model and then you realize something should be tweaked a bit. No reason to feel like you can't do so. We are working with computers here, not building skyscrapers! Once you learn that you can essentially fix or change anything at pretty much any point in the workflow, you will feel a big relief. Like, "man, I can just try anything out and it's not a big deal, because I can always fix it up at any time."

For something like scaling the armor up -- that's nothing. Just scale the mesh, adjust any vertices necessary, and reimport to Painter. If you are getting too much texture stretching, you may need to optimize your UV's, but I don't think that will happen unless you are making big, non-uniform changes to the mesh.
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went back and fixed things. Here is round 2.

• audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    hey nice progress. i think the eyes could still be more nicely shaped. they seem to be a bit more detached and have more like an almond shape in the concept. Also try to make the lids sharper/thiner and more shapely. right now it looks a bit like they are swollen.

Its a human eye but i think its also similar in your concept ;)

lines on the armor could be a bit pronounced and also stronger color variation and less dirt to make the individual shapes stand out more.
  • Skinner3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I put more detail in the eye area. I realized that my shader in Lightwave is messing with the contours a little bit. Not quite sure how to fix it. You can see more of the detail in the ZBrush shot. Also realized that when I transferred him over I put the eyes in slightly the wrong spot. Fixed that too.
    Toned down the armor dirt too.