Home Unreal Engine

Lighting help! How to create sun light for a Cave Scene!

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Seantheartist polycounter lvl 5
Hello all!

Sorta first time user. I am working on a environment scene ( ref pic for example will be attached ) and I’m having some major issue with lighting. I made a default scene from the start ( with the chairs ) and I altered the skybox to a night time, but my real question is: for my scene, if I want the main lighting in the scene - which happens to be a darker cave- to have sunlight shinning through a cave entrance or hole in the cave ( from off screen ) how would one go about doing this? Best course of action? Should I use geo and have the skybox light source try and shine through that? 
 Also what’s a good way to make a scene darker too? More objects to block out light ?

The First Image is the main reference of what I am going off of.
( Note: see how the sunlight is slightly coming in and shinning down at the witches house, I wanna up that a little and make that a strong light force but not overbearing )

Im attaching two more lighting references, along the lines of what I would like to go for.  ( i have god rays but maybe something better? )

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all so very much!
-Sean

Replies

• lucasz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lucasz polycounter lvl 7
    Hello Sean, its probably best if you also attach your current scene - right now it feels like youre showing three different lighting references and its hard to tell whats the best fit to what youre working on.

,, if I want the main lighting in the scene - which happens to be a darker cave- to have sunlight shinning through a cave entrance or hole in the cave ( from off screen ) how would one go about doing this?,,

Personally If no technical limitations - I would just delete all other light sources, use a mesh for the hole, create a directional light or a spotlight, add volumetric fog - play with the settings of the fog and the light to get the desired ,,godrays,,/ground fog.

,, Also what’s a good way to make a scene darker too? More objects to block out light ?,,

In your main reference the light is only shining on the middle ground - theres no direct light/sun light hitting other parts of the environment.

Maybe you could rephrase that question, Im thinking that you would just want to use the postprocess volume and tune down the shadows/mid tones? But im guessing thats not what youre looking for. Please attach the current scene so we know what youre talking about/ whats the problem with the current lighting rig.

Let me know if that helped.

Cheers,

Lucas