Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Resolved _ Character critique very appreciated :)

EVF
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
EVF polycounter lvl 3
Luc du Tour is his name, anagram for a**hole in french, he's a bad guy :)
"Jasper, fetch my horse"
A critique on this sketch would be super appreciated, mainly pose and anatomy since design is not done :)

Cheers!

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    well, not to be to harsh, but the anatomy and construction is all over the place.
    Id look into character construction and make sure all your shapes are solid in 3D space before doing any complicated posing and or perspective.

• EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    @lotet :) as usual, honesty well appreciated, looking into the link, thanks!
  • EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    So, I was able to pick up on the belt buckle being off center, but you said "anatomy and construction is all over the place" so I doubt this was the only issue...
    Maybe also the head being too big.
    Twist the torso to my right more?
    Pleeeeaaaase @lotet can I get a lil extra tip to resolve problems here... ( sad pouty face emoji )

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Add clavicle to simplified drawing I think will help you to see where is the main problem
    Also check your legs , knee(patella) and foot should point in similar directions on a standing leg + left leg is missing sartorius/gracilis inner knee bulge
    When in doubted take the pose yourself , could use mirror too

• EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    @carvuliero thanks for the extra tips brother! I should be able to figure it out now :)  I don't why I didn't think of posing and taking a pic, sometimes in my head, things look right, and I can see what I'm trying to do , but not the rest of the world lol
    Cheers!
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    hi, it looks like you still havent figured out the construction of your character yet, judging from your paintover above, this is how it would looks from my understanding looking at your sketch

i'd suggest you to design, adjust and pose your character using its simplest form: shapes - its quick, and easy to see how appealing your character proportion is, and how the shapes are working together.
  • EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    @quockhanhlk now I feel spoiled :) thank you all so very much for the help, I shall figure it out now, no excuse.

I am posting what I have done, before I saw your post @quockhanhlk , and keep working on it.
    Going to get rid of that balloon sleeve for now so I can figure out the right arm properly.

"i'd suggest you to design, adjust and pose your character using its simplest form: shapes - its quick, and easy to see how appealing your character proportion is, and how the shapes are working together." >> I definitely made the mistake to start drawing with no structure.

Thank you!

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    hey, sorry I didnt have time to do any follow up, but it looks like you got a lot of help anyway :)
    I will ad that his right leg (our left) could be moved to the left a bit to ad some more balance.
  • EVF
    Offline / Send Message
    EVF polycounter lvl 3
    @lotet , no problem :) , you always give me helpful critiques, I was just trying to squeeze a little more out of you :wink:  , like you said, I got quite a good bit of advice.
    Left leg, dully noted :)
    Cheers!