Home Technical Talk

Is there any big different between photoshop cs6 and cc?

ShadyDev
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ShadyDev polycounter lvl 4
I have been avoiding moving over to PS CC mainly due to the subscription cost. Seemed like cs6 did everything cc does so why bother? I saw that this year they updated the brushes though and include a new smoothing option similar to lazy nezumi as well as better organization for brushes like the ability to create groups. 

I just played around on the trial version of CC and although the new features are cool - i found that i would still use lazy nezumi as it works a bit better than the CC smoothing option, and even though the brush groups are super nice - it seems like i could remedy that with a program like brushbox. I havnt used brushbox but would assume it essentially does the same thing?

That being said - is there any real reason i would need to upgrade? like are there any random updates i missed that really stand out from CS6 that are absolute must haves? or can i keep livin in the past subscription cost free....

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Don't pay for something you don't need. It's as simple as that.
  • ShadyDev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well sure, that obviously makes sense. But my questions is asking if there is anything super exciting or beneficial about the new upgrade that cs6 doesnt offer
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends how old school your workflow is I suppose.

I'm on the $10/mo and it's worth it for me.

Let's see, off the top of my head...
    • Photo to normal, similar to crazybump/ndo.
    • Photo to bump/displacement, same.
    • Rotate the canvas while you work, like an old school animation stand.
    • Camera Raw for great photo histogram/exposure/etc. all non-destructive.
    • Smart Layers (more non-destructive editing, filters, etc.
    • 3d paint. Wasn't that great a control scheme when added a couple years ago, but maybe it's improved since?
    • Video editing in Photoshop. Insane idea, but it pretty much works. It's called Timeline.
    • Fibers filter, cool for quickie procedural texturing, similar to Filter > Render > Clouds, but a more vertical pattern.
    • Liquify tool
    • Bandaid tool
    • Better paths and shapes support and tools.
    • Probably forgetting lots...
  • ShadyDev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome thanks for the updated info!
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Y'all are missing what is BY FAR the biggest reason to upgrade, which was introduced in CS7 iirc...

Dark UI scheme.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    dark UI was actually the big reason to upgrade to CS6. :)
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I recently had to shell out for the $10 a month CC subscription so I could bring my work home with me more effectively, after a few years of being very resistant to CC.  CC just tries to come with so much other shit I don't care about, with its CC desktop service, library management/all kinds of other BS. 

That being said, I've got it set up now and there are a few benefits it had over CS6 for me.

-It's more customizable.  There's just more options so far as what you can display/disable in your menus/toolbar/etc.
    -Plugins tend to perform better with CC.  If you use a color wheel for example, if it has a version that supports CC - that version will probably have added functionality and run more fluidly.
    -3D options included.  If you don't have CS6 Extended, the 3D toolset is unavailable. 
    -The recently updated brush organization is simple and effective.  There are plugins available that can make this happen for CS6 - but again, in my experience, the non-CC versions of these aren't always great performance wise.  I picked up MagicSquire for example, and both at work and at home - it's performance wasn't great on CS6, a number of its features seemed to only work well in CC, and it was easier for me in CS6 to just do some crappy brush-divider organizing.
    -Support for additional layer blending options.  As much as I hate using these myself, if I ever do some random not-painting stuff freelance or at work, sometimes I wind up with .psds that have blending options out the ass, and if they wind up using things CS6 doesn't support (multiple strokes, etc), they won't display properly in CS6 and will be hella borked.

There's also just various little minor bug fixes that are kinda nice I've noticed.  For $10 a month, it's certainly not bad.  Still suffers from the same broken as shit "sniffer.exe" on startup that will randomly not detect your graphics driver properly and turn off OpenGL functionality, but that's fixed easily enough by renaming it to avoid the issue.