Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4][WIP] The Victor Horta Residence

Abigail_Jameson
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Abigail_Jameson polycounter lvl 3

Hi everyone,

I finally decided to create a thread showing my progress on my Final Year Project for University. I really wanted to create something that was architecturally beautiful and had historical significance, so I’m I intending to create a 3D recreation, with additional storytelling elements, of the Victor Horta (a pioneer of the Art Nouveau architectural movement) residence as seen in the film the Danish Girl.

I’m really hoping I can share my progress, as well as get feedback and critique as to how I can further improve. At current I’m doing a weekly blog on artstation, but I will try copy everything to here too.  

INSPIRATION/ RESEARCH

I’ve chosen the image below as my key image, as well as gathered various tourist and promotional shots. I’m intending to split the project into two areas, the ‘stairs’ zone and the foyer, and I’m working from the top down to get it complete.

Image Found Here

CURRENT PROGRESS

This is my progress so far, I’ve worked in 3DS max to make my models and textured using a combination of Substance painter and Designer. This past week my focus was on texturing the walls, I created ID map in Adobe Illustrator by tracing over the flowers in my reference and making some up and combining it in substance painter with a painter plaster and gold material. This week I’m aiming to texture the stairs, and start to research and develop ideas for lighting, as well as blockout the foyer area. 

Wall ID map from Illustrator

Texturing in Substance Painter

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow impressive architecture! that reference shot from the film doesnt have particularly interesting colour/lighting, some of the other shots show just how many clever designs and materials there are in this scene. have fun! 
  • Abigail_Jameson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abigail_Jameson polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah! i does look simple for a distance, but up close some of the detail is absolutely incredible! its just trying to model it all accurately whist keeping a decent polycount! but with some good lighting it should really look nice i'm hoping.