Home Technical Talk

Beginner/Intermediate Question about the correct way to model a large, complex, interior

Zer0Sum
null
Offline / Send Message
Zer0Sum null
Hello!

This is my first post here, and I am not sure if this is the right forum, or even the right website for this, but it was referenced over on the substance painter forums, which is a program I use a lot.

Firstly, I would consider my skill at modelling and texturing to be beginner, maybe pushing towards intermediate. My main job is computer game programming and game design. However, I have always loved 3D art, and I really want to learn to get better.

My tools are 3DS Max 2015 and my new favourite modelling tool is Substance Painter (I much prefer it to photoshop!).

I am currently working on a game for the Unity game engine which involves a fairly large space ship, which needs to be visible from both the outside and the inside. 

I have decided that the best way to do this is to model the exterior hull and interior as separate objects, and then just align the hatches, windows, etc, together wherever they appear, taking care to avoid any seams or gaps.

The problem is with the interiors.

There seems to be two ways of doing this. The easiest way is to model each compartment (control room, hanger deck, etc) as a separate object. I can then unwrap it and get it into substance painter. The problem here is that the texture density with a large room is likely to be too low for a first-person game. I am using 2k textures at the moment, I could try increasing to 4k textures, but at that resolution, you start running into serious performance issues.

The second option is to split the room up into smaller chunks, so a long corridor might have a corridor-left, corridor-middle, and corridor-right object, all separate objects in max, and all aligned properly. I can then export them at the same time, and I should be able to texture them at the same time in substance painter.
The problem though is aligning the UV maps across the different objects. For example, if I want to have a painted line down the entire length of the corridor, how do I make sure there are no visible seams or distortions, when I have three objects, each with a different UV unwrap modifier? 

I am just a little confused as to how to approach this, and I would like to get some advice from a professional modeller. What would be the standard way of building a large interior like this for a game, in the industry? 

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This should help
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Modular_environments

Usually people ask technical questions in the Technical Talk section, rather than 3D Showcase. I'll move this there for you.
  • Zer0Sum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zer0Sum null
    Thank you very much, that helps a lot!

I'll take a look at that tutorial you posted. It seems that modular is the way to go for interiors then?
  • Mirbobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes. Modular environment pieces and tiling textures is roughly what you are after. I wouldn't even try to texture the modular components in the way you generally do for props, but use multiple different materials, decals, and overlapping UVs etc. So substance painter might not be the best option for this type of workflow.
    You can also combine these modular walls and floor with larger custom set pieces.
  • Zer0Sum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zer0Sum null
    Thanks for your reply. I have gone for a kind of semi-modular approach. I broke down the interior into smaller  elements, but I am texturing each one individually, so they will have unique textures. I am working on a fairly small interior, so I am aiming for high detail in the textures (any repeating textures would probably be noticed). The interior should be small enough that the number of textures required shouldn't cause a performance issue.