Home Unreal Engine

Non-square UV-s for UE4

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
LVL45 polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, how things are going on with non-square UV maps (ex. 1024x2048) these days:)

Basically talking about this technique (http://polycount.com/discussion/65234/rectangular-uv-map/p1)

I am particularity interested if it is used for UE4? Does the use of 1:2 texture can cause some problems, for example with mip-mapping, vertex-paint or some other stuff that I am not even aware of?

Also, Is it the lower texture file size the only benefit of using non-square uv?

Cheers! 

Replies

• CupMcCakers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CupMcCakers polycounter lvl 4
    1:2 1:4 1:8 etc will still mip map correctly, and vertex painting depends on well, vertex density, rather than uv space. 

Some information may make more sense to put in non-square textures, on a per-case basis. Off of the top of my head, maybe text, sky HDR Images, some flipbooks or other sequences of images, texture atlasses.

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    This is basically up to a per case basis, sometimes you are just better laying them out 1_2 or however, because they fit together better like that. There is no any issue with handling these in Unreal though, but you could have taken the time to just look it up or try it out. No offense though this is still a better question than how to submerge a cylinderical mesh into a plane.
  • LVL45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LVL45 polycounter lvl 7
    Okay nice, it sounds kinda obvious, but when I talked with my colleague about textures optimisation it also sound at the same time like it can potentially make some problems on the long run.

Thank you guys for the info and explanation!
  • PatrickSF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickSF triangle
    I recall robo recall using non-square textures in at least one of it's assets... If that means anything.
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    I was under the impression non square textures didn't mip at all in UE4?  - even read it in the documentation somewhere - am I mistaken?