Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Generator Room Sci-fi Environment (WIP)

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
JorisArt greentooth
Hey guys, I'm doing a sci-fi environment based on this wonderful concept by Jeremy Love:

This will be my first environment. I'm familiar with the process of creating individual assets but I wanted to take it a step further and do something that is a bit more challenging. The final shot will be from the same perspective as the concept so I decided to only model the things that are visible from that point of view.

First thing I did was bring the concept into Photoshop in order to break it apart and get a better understanding of the different pieces and how everything fits together. I also added two human silhouettes to get a better feeling for the size of the room.

This is how I currently have it planned:
Assets that have a unique material made in Substance Painter:
- generator
- red wall
- core
- purple wall
- support beam

Tileable materials made in Substance Designer:
- painted metal (for blue wall)
- concrete (for yellow floor)
- steel (for blue floor)
- chain link (also for blue floor)
The geometry below the floor will also be using some of these tileable materials.

Two texture atlases:
- ceiling 
- pipes (including the ones below the floor that aren't marked)

For the pipes I will try creating a pipe generation system using splines in UE4.

Lastly we have a few props: a vent, computers and monitors. Each will have a unique material. I will do these last as they have zero impact on the scale of the surrounding geometry. In fact, I need to finish the room itself first before I can determine the exact size of these props.

Again, this is my first environment. Therefore I have no idea if this is the 'best' way of doing things. I planned this out intuitively based on my current experience and knowledge. If you would handle this environment in a different way that is more efficient, please let me know as I would really appreciate your thoughts and insights.

Moving on to the blockout phase:

I actually struggled with this part quite a bit. Due to my perfectionism I wanted to have the camera in UE4 to have the EXACT same perspective as in the concept art. I tried using perspective match in 3ds Max with no success, but also a neat tool called Kuadro where i can 'burn' the concept on my screen. Turned opacity to 50%, froze the image so I could click through it and started to move the camera in UE4 until it matched the concept. I kept going back and forth between changing the camera FOV + position and making changes to the blockout in 3ds Max. Reimport in UE4 and start over again. Eventually I realized that it was impossible, especially if the concept art is not drawn over a blockout in the first place.
So instead I started to simply block everything out based on the size of the human characters. I knew I couldn't make it exactly the same as the concept, so I tried to make it look reasonable from all perspectives. Besides, this is 3d right?

Next I will be doing a high poly for all the different pieces and make sure everything fits nicely before moving on to low poly and texturing.
Generator high poly:

And that's it for now! I will try to update this thread as regularly as I can.

Feedback is as always very much appreciated :smiley:.! 

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good work so far, nice sense of scale and a good breakdown of the shapes. The lighting in the concept isnt particularly interesting, Im looking forward to seeing how you interpret the light sources.
  • GreyJke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GreyJke polycounter lvl 2
    Hi! I was lucky to visit real power plant... when workers were deconstructing old generator! They are so massive and looks so powerful, hope you will achieve that feeling in your project.
  • JorisArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JorisArt greentooth
    Ged said:
    good work so far, nice sense of scale and a good breakdown of the shapes. The lighting in the concept isnt particularly interesting, Im looking forward to seeing how you interpret the light sources.
    Thank you. Yeah I still have to figure out the lighting, I don't know if it's possible to light the entire room with emissive lights only..

GreyJke said:
    Hi! I was lucky to visit real power plant... when workers were deconstructing old generator! They are so massive and looks so powerful, hope you will achieve that feeling in your project.
    That feeling of massiveness and power is exactly what I'm aiming for! I think the concept conveys it really well.

Red wall:

• JorisArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JorisArt greentooth
    Walls are pretty much finished, will do the flooring + core next

• JorisArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JorisArt greentooth

I think I'm finally ready to bring a bit more life into the scene by creating the low polys and slapping some textures on them. I still had a chain link material lying around so I'm using that one for now. Also started playing around with fog volumes, I was really curious to see what those would look like :#
  • Klawd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polycounter lvl 7
    Very nice concept, and great work so far! Looking forward for more.
  • JorisArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JorisArt greentooth
    Thank you @Klawd
    Finished texturing the generator and the red wall. I'm not yet satisfied with the emissive on the generator, I feel like it needs more depth. In the concept it actually looks like there is a light source beneath the glass, does anyone have any tips or tricks for achieving that through textures?
    Baked normals:

The generator is 16k polys, 1k for the wall

• GreyJke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GreyJke polycounter lvl 2
    JorisArt said:
    Does anyone have any tips or tricks for achieving that through textures?

I am still learning UE4, but i can suggest you this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mig6EF17mR8
    Shader at these stream has that thingy with camera angle... check it out, maybe you can apply it to your needs.