Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first try at hand painted texture

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Bar0n polycounter lvl 9
Hello, I was redoing the topology of my Jak redesign because he wasn't game friendly and I decided to make it my first try at hand painted texture. Redid the topology of most of his parts and put everything on one texture set, besides his hair.

i've been texturing for the past 2 days so I need a break and some fresh eyes on it, any tips to get it better are very appreciated!

Replies

• Jedairusz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedairusz polycounter lvl 13
    Good start! It needs more AO and gradient (darker lower parts and lighter upper parts of body). It needs also more highlights - It looks quite  flat now. Some color variation will help too. You can paint subsurface scattering effect on nose and ears.
  • Bar0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar0n polycounter lvl 9
    Jedairusz said:
    Good start! It needs more AO and gradient (darker lower parts and lighter upper parts of body). It needs also more highlights - It looks quite  flat now. Some color variation will help too. You can paint subsurface scattering effect on nose and ears.
    Thank you! I did have my AO and gradient from world position, but I just realized that I may have painted over it, I need to check.
    Thanks for the tips!
  • Bar0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar0n polycounter lvl 9
    i added some more ao and subtle gradient and a bit more saturation, butm aybe i overdid it, what do you think?

• Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    just shifting some hues and values in photoshop, this looks a bit better to my eyes. mainly tried to draw more attention to his head.
  • Bar0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar0n polycounter lvl 9
    Tectonic said:
    just shifting some hues and values in photoshop, this looks a bit better to my eyes. mainly tried to draw more attention to his head.
    Indeed it looks better! It's a bit softer and more pleasant. I need to try that, thanks!
  • BittaSingh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BittaSingh triangle
    Good start baron , but I think you should check about  color theory and learn more about which colors look good with each other . Right now I don't think that purple is getting along with overall character .  
  • Bar0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar0n polycounter lvl 9
    Good start baron , but I think you should check about  color theory and learn more about which colors look good with each other . Right now I don't think that purple is getting along with overall character .  
    Hey thanks! The purple it there to contrast the the other colours because it represents his dark side. In the original game Jak transforms into Dark Jak. Although the original dark version is more a light blue, but during my tests I prefered the light purple because it contrasts more!
  • Bar0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar0n polycounter lvl 9
    I updated the texture and modeled also the Morph gun and did a quick pose test

• Bar0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar0n polycounter lvl 9
    Another pose test, now back on finishing the texture so I can work on the presentation

• Bar0n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bar0n polycounter lvl 9
    I think i'm done with this, for now at least.
    I might come back to it when i get better at hand painting textures

I tried also @almighty_gir cell shader in marmoset

more breakdowns on my artstation