Home Technical Talk

new simple tool to "draw" normal maps

Hi everybody, I extended SpeedyPainter, a free drawing software that I am developing, with the ability to "draw" normal maps.

I was thingking that (maybe) this variant could be useful to game developers and asset creators, as a simple way to apply 3D surface detail to their 3d objects.
Do you think such a tool can be useful? I am well aware of the existence of some highly evolved softwares aimed to the definition of material and surfaces, like substance designer and Zbrush, but I thought that maybe someone could find it useful to have a simple, very lightweight and immediate tool able to create simple normal maps.

The software uses standard png brushes, where different alpha levels will correspond to different height values.
User can define his own brushes, and also import brushes from his favourite brushes sets.

If you have any suggestions on how to improve the tool and what you think it lacks, feel free to send me your feedback, every suggestion and critique is really welcome!

Here follows a small video demonstration that shows how to use the tool to generate normal maps, and how to import them into unity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjE6RU2t9d4

Thank you in advance for your feedback :)