Home Technical Talk

[3ds Max] How to import 3D texture mesh (tiled texture file)?

apro
node
Offline / Send Message
apro node

Hi

I use pix4d to export a 3D textured mesh model in the obj format, the texture is generated in many .jpg files, which contains a 2D planar RGB image with the values for each pixel of the triangles that form the 3D Textured Mesh.

https://support.pix4d.com/hc/en-us/articles/202560669-How-to-generate-the-3D-Textured-Mesh#gsc.tab=0

When I have lower resolution model export from the pix4d, the texture is just one single image, and this is draped on the mesh automatically, but since the texture is larger than 32768x32768, the texture is split into many images of 4000x4000, and when importing the file now, the mesh is just white with no texture.

My question is, how do I import this file into 3DS max so that all the textures are positioned and aligned correctly on to the mesh?

Here are the files for both the model with a single image, and the file with multiple images. The one with single image works to import into 3DS max.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Best to include your software in the title, so people who know it best can help you.
    http://polycount.com/discussion/63361/information-about-polycount-new-member-introductions/p1#use

so instead of
      How to import 3D texture mesh (tiled texture file)?
    try
     [3ds Max] How to import 3D texture mesh (tiled texture file)?

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    It's hard to say without the files.
    Don't you have a .mtl that comes with your .obj ? Maybe you got an option in pix4d to generate it ?
    Maybe max doesn't find the texture path, or simply the textures are there but not shown in the viewport. Do you have multiple materials in max ? Do they link to texture files ?
  • Violet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Violet polycounter lvl 9
    Do you use Max a lot? I'm just wondering in case you've missed out something basic in the material editor settings.
  • apro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apro node
    I have updated the first post with the files now. No I'm not any expert user with 3DS max
  • apro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apro node
    Anyone have any suggestion?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Okay. The issue is that your texture files are insanely huge.
    You graphic card can't display 256 8k*8k texture in real time.
    You can tell max to reduce the diplayed texture resolution but i would resize the original texture files instead (or tell pix4d to generate smaller textures), because you got no gain from your resolution. All you have is blurred pixels.
    I'm pretty sure you can resize at 512*512 or 256*256 and you wont notice the difference. And the loading will be way faster.

To tell max to not display the textures at full resolution, you have to click on the [+] sign in the top left corner of a viewport>configure viewports>display performance and lower texture maps to 512 or 256. Which you should do before loading your file.
  • apro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apro node
    Thanks for the suggestion. However I have no problem using the single 32K*32K texture on the mesh modell. I have turned the display resolution to 200000, for both baked, texture maps, and viewport background, and the computer shows a quite crisp image in the viewport. (the computer is extremely fast)

My problem is that when I import the obj with the 256 8k*8k textures, then the model is completely blank! there is no textures that are imported at all...I don't know how to import an obj file where the textures are in several images instead of one
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I've imported them without issue once resized. Else my pc crashed.
    Just check that in your obj import options you have textures coordinates, import materials and show maps in viewport on.
    But again you resolution is overkill. Your source photos are nowhere near that accuracy, because your textures are blurry.
    16 * 8k² = 32k²
    256* 8k² = 128k²
    So it's like loading a 128 000 * 128 000 pixels texture.
    It's nonsense to display that in realtime.

• apro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apro node
    Great, it worked now when I turned down the resolution. The thing is, that I will export this model to another program for VR use, after I have made some adjustments to the model, and I want as high as resolution as possible.So:
    - Does the display performance under viewport configuration decide the texture resolution of the model when I export it again? Or does it only affect how I VIEW the model in 3DS max when working on it?
    - Does the texture map adjust the resolution for EACH image? Or is it the texture maps (512/256 and so on) for the total image size of all the images combined?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    It does only affect the viewport, and it is per texture.
    Usually, you don't want to embed the textures in your exported file anyway. You'll just copy paste them in your engine project.

You have to optimize your assets, and be coherent with your hardware. Especially for VR.
    If your incoming picture is a 1k, and you are outputting a 2k texture, you wont get a better definition, and you'll get more impact on hardware. You're not adding any quality.
    So no, you don't want as high resolution as possible. Also i doubt your engine will load a 128k texture either unless you use some streaming voodoo (which would still be nonsense considering your source resolution).

• apro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apro node
    What I meant was as high as possible up to the Source image, I want 1-1 resolution comming in and out of 3DS max, and not decrease the resolution of the source image(s).
    I use a program called Fuzor to display the model in VR, now I'm testing the workflow, my planned workflow is like this for now:

Pix4D exports a obj model together with 8k*8K images (max resolution output of Pix4D is 128K*128K, but I chose tiled images with 8k*8k resolution, in total 128K*128K.  (I know the quality is not that high in these pictures, but that's not important for now, as this project is just a sample project to find what is possible)
    ->
    The model is imported into 3DS max, where I do some adjustment to the mesh. The texture is then baked onto the mesh, and then exported as FBX, and texture has (hopefully) the same resolution when I export is as it came into 3DS max.
    -> 
    Open FBX With texture in Fuzor, together With other types of models for use in VR.

But since it only affect the viewport and it is per texture, then I can just go for a very low res in the viewport and then import all the 8k*8K Pictures (as I do now), as the model will inherent the total texture size of 128k*128K when I bake it and export it to fbx?
  • apro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apro node
    it seems my comment dissapeared, but now its back again :)