Home Technical Talk

Overlapping Transparency shared UV's

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Jordanbeeston polycounter lvl 2
Im getting an ongoing problem to do with having an alpha on my model in maya - its a simple .png file where the empty background represents what should be 100% see through and the diffuse what should be 100% solid, yet for some reason the diffuse part of the model is semi transparent so when rotated it looks dodgy. this is further illustrated when i create multiple objects to share the same UV space and you start to notice that everything associated with that UV file you can see through partly.

I understand in Maya there is the option to go into viewport 2.0 settings and change the transparency algorithm from object sorting to depth peeling (this does work, however when sending to unity this goes back to a default of being semi transparent)

Is there a way to keep it so the diffuse parts of the .png is 100% solid? is it a case of creating a seperate black and white file to demonstrate cutout opacity? if so where in mayas lambert shader would i attach this too?

Thanks

Replies

• Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Can we see the texture image?

Alpha in real-time is and always has been a problem. What it sounds like you're suffering from is something necessary called Alpha Sorting, which sorts the order in which objects are rendered to the screen. You need to be careful about where you place transparent materials for this reason.

These days Alpha Test aka cutout is largely safe to use in anger. It sounds like you might need a cutout in your situation, rather than a fade, if this is the case then you can switch to Alpha Test/Cutout in your application and it should help some of the alpha sorting issues. I'd bet some would remain though.

• Eric Chadwick
  • Jordanbeeston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jordanbeeston polycounter lvl 2
    Hey Axi,

Here is the screenshot sorry for the delay, 

forgive the textures they arent complete yet haha 

This is the UV (0-1) texture space - having multiple objects in one i.e. the campfire, jerry can, bottles  etc to save space 

The bottom is the desired result i want to achieve as the issue as you can see from the middle picture is that there is overlapping making the scene hard to read.

Like i said depth peeling was used to create the bottom result but when i give it to the unity team its still causing issues and overlap,

Thanks eric for the link i will give it a good read now :)