Home Technical Talk

Workflow for UV unwrapping tile textured, hand painted game assets.

Been trying my hand at a stylized, hand painted work flow for game assets, similar to Blizzard's hand painted style of texturing.

One thing I have been trying to wrap my head around is using multiple normals from tiled textures for general texture,

as well as including normals from sculpting in zbrush, for eg: hard planar changes like this (below) in tandem with each other.

I have done workflows for realistic assets in the past, with a more manual texturing approach, laying multiple UV sets (if the object is too big), then texturing it in Photoshop.

However, due to the rise of PBR applications like Substance Painter, I have tried to use PBR texturing in my workflow. This confused me slightly when dealing with tiled textures, as Substance does not deal with multiple normal maps. and UV sets well.

Based on my assumption (for red building above) , I would guess Blizzard created a general tiled texture for the red concrete , sculpted the edge plane changes, then hand painted the smaller details in, with multiple shaders for different textures on the same model. How should I go about UV unwrapping something like the red building above for tiling in tandem with PBR workflow? 

Thanks and sorry for the long post!

Replies