Home Adobe Substance

ID masking rules for baking in general 3D package to avoid this problem ?

rafastrip
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
rafastrip polycounter lvl 4
HI everyone, let me introduce my problem , i can imagine that this problem comes from ID masking or antialising or RGB values, please help me to figure out.  

ants on my my model. 

as you can see (in the picture above) ,  I ve a frequently common error or issues when I create a project in SP , sometimes I can fix it using "color selection ID " and play around with these setting ( hardness and tolerance) or create a paint layer at the top and paint  it , however I consider this practice a little tedious sometimes and I thought , it should be a rule , or at least a change to not deal with this ? (I am looking for a good practice too and understanding the problem or where it comes from).

there are many ways to create an ID mask , by baking vertex group , material in SP , or simple create it out from another app.  

I have 3 question for now .

1 - TOlerance and hardness affects RGB values ? from the ID mask , ok , Should I create specific colors in ID map selection ? (as you can see in my image, I manage Red and blue  ) but real blue is " 0 . 0. 255  ,RGB ) and in my image  I got blue, but not "pure blue" . It would be a rule ?.

2 -  I use blender 2.79x to export , my setting by default are this ( consider I prefer to bake ID by vertex group from blender , OBJ in blender can not retain vertex group info , so I bake in Fbx in general. ( this can be part of this issue sometimes?) let me show a couple of picture of the exporting process with vertex painting (for blender users , you can understand).

As I mentino in the second picture, this is vertex painting process in blender ( I prefer this method to create an ID map directly in substance painter, there are another way , where you can create differents materials for different parts of the body and fill with a color and go for "render tab" and create a 0 to 1 UV space (a texture slot I mean) and bake the colors to a texture slot and called "ID mask" , this is another option , but I prefer vertex group ( in fbx to retain them). 

3 - here is a seam in my model... someway "seamns" are affect by this "white points" ;

I do not know if seams "red line" is related to this issue ( In blender I used pixel bleeding "pack island" with the margin of 0.008 in case If i need to create a texture...but in this case I just only marked the seams in blender , and then with seams marked export it  the model in fbx as I said ). So the 3er question is  , if possible the seams would be envolve?? In other part of the models the seams ARE NOT affects by this "white lines".

4 - as an addition to this post information , this is my export setting  (consider this is a 3D  NOT biped model and fbx has not too much options).

5 -  My UV display (in case  , pixel density or "seams" or bleeding or what ever could be related).

the stretching is good , I know there are some empty space wich I can scale a little bit part of the object, but is easy to fix UV)

resume  : 

Should I bake ID map in substance painter with Pure colors ? 
 seams and "island" 's space is influencing  the pixel density and can make that problem  ( head is 60% of the total of the uv) ? 
 the old method in blender is create differet materials for different parts of the body and bake it , but I am really how to defeat this problem at once and forever. 

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You do want a fair bit more padding around your UVs than that..

You'll get the best results by baking in Painter with anti aliasing disabled (this prevents colours mixing and causing artefacts like your ants at material boundaries ) , at least 8px padding at 2048 and using very distinct colours ( full red/green/blue/yellow/magenta/cyan, half red/blue etc. etc.) 

I usually use material colours rather than vertex colour and never use obj (because fbx is better) 

No matter what you do, you'll  need to adjust the blur/padding on your colour selection masks to soften the aliased material boundaries 
  • rafastrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok , bro ,  how can I "adjunst blur/padding" in Color slection mask ?? by a filter ? how can I do that ? should I create a layer on the top of the "selection layer" ? I never though that was possible ... I know where the filter is, but never thougth to put it on "color id mask" directly.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I mean whatever the parameters are called on a colour selection - designer and painter use different names so I get mixed up.

The main thing is to bake in Painter without antialiasing
  • rafastrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah Ok,  I think the first step is bake only , and only the ID map , with  NOn anti-aliasing ? and then go and create the rest of the maps? . I realiased another old method, is create ID materials in blender for HP object and not for LP , and export them together to SP and bake it the ID , the HP transfer to the LP , but in ID baking setting  , change the "vetex" to "material" ..this is another method....but Ok, thanks for the useful help bro.