Home Adobe Substance

How to create that (a)peeling effect ?

svevlad
vertex
Offline / Send Message
svevlad vertex
Hi guys, 
this is my first post so please be gentle 
I wasted almost a month trying to make this peeling effect  but the main problem is that I don't know how to make that chipped edges properly so it does not look too uniform and boring.  

Tried everything that I could think of and frankly I am spent  
I am open for any suggestions
Here is the link for the exercise file 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=179FUWn5IW6-Sk0HO3jkt8UJKTVNldodO. There are two experiments that I tried in order to get the desired effect.  in it there is also a custom made FX-map that is not 100% completed but it allows you to distribute shapes by using a mask with some randomness. Feel free to use it, improve it, whatever

Replies

• Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
  • svevlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    svevlad vertex
    I looked that breakdown but unfortunately it did not help me regarding this problem. Ok here is what I got so far: on yet another experiment I tried using the distance node (mask input only) on some blended complex noise which I ran through the Histogram Scan. So it turns out that this way I can use a mask to specify where I want some smaller pieces to be. The down side is that I cannot get luminance(color) variation on the pieces which is the only way that I can think of to make mask for some of the pieces to have more chipping variation in order to break that uniformity on the picture above. I tried with some custom nodes to make luminance random but it looks sloppy. if someone has some better idea please tell...
    The another approach was a classic : make the cells using  tile random through levels and distance node in order to get  a color variation also but the down side is that I cannot control the size of some pieces using a mask. If someone knows how could I do this please tell.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    I see you used Flood Fill in your original experiments, are you not able to use Flood Fill to Random GreyScale Color to create your luminance variation?

If you do the "classic" approach, you could create a smaller cells generator, and use histogram scan on the large cells to create a mask for the small cells, then blend them together.
  • svevlad
  • svevlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    svevlad vertex
    I see you used Flood Fill in your original experiments, are you not able to use Flood Fill to Random GreyScale Color to create your luminance variation?

If you do the "classic" approach, you could create a smaller cells generator, and use histogram scan on the large cells to create a mask for the small cells, then blend them together.
    I tried this, you are right, I can now get the smaller pieces right where I want them. Also this gave me an option to get smaller cracks on the side of the larger ones. The only problem now is how to make the pattern look more organic like when I experimented further (see the picture: problem01.png in the previous post above) I tried warping it but that only gave me a more wavy pattern. I' m still trying to figure it out how to blend larger shapes with smaller ones to get something that looks like that. As always I am open for ideas :)

• svevlad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    svevlad vertex
    Found a way! In order to get that organic looking pattern as well as luma variation I just needed to insert Tile sampler and all the noises I want into it!