Home Career & Education

Starting to learn to draw, i feel lost from start, how to start.

Boyani
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Boyani vertex
I have been thinking these days, that, if i want to become exceptional Character Modeler/Artist, i have to know how to draw, that i think might help me in my journey to become  a Character Modeler/Artist.

I would like to start on my own, from books, tutorials, videos whatever. I don't have patience to go to drawing classes. I want to take the time to learn how to this. But, How should i start?

1.Should i start to learn anatomy, by drawing whole figure all at once?
2.Do i need to draw first skeleton, then muscles?
3.Can i start to draw every piece of the body, separately? So i can have much more focus on one body than whole body at once.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "I don't have patience to go to drawing classes."
    That's a bit of a red flag right there. Becoming an artist isn't for those who are impatient. Like any skill, it takes those 10,000 hours. In other words, devotion over time.

You could start here.
    https://www.ctrlpaint.com/library
  • Boyani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyani vertex
    "I don't have patience to go to drawing classes."
    That's a bit of a red flag right there. Becoming an artist isn't for those who are impatient. Like any skill, it takes those 10,000 hours. In other words, devotion over time.

You could start here.
    https://www.ctrlpaint.com/library
    Sorry, that was really bad from my side to say it. I don't have patient to sit in class and draw. I would really like to do it in my own pace, and not just to do it, just to get diploma or something. And, i am not sure if i can get a good instructor to teach me. Most of the teachers here i have heard from those so called Art School, are very very bad. And people tend to  learn drawing  from home.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Drawing classes will typically give you minimum 3 hours to draw.  Or, at least the good ones.

Are you saying your sense of patience is incompatible with that?
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Boyani wrote:

I would like to start on my own, from books, tutorials, videos whatever. I don't have patience to go to drawing classes. I want to take the time to learn how to this. But, How should i start?

Yeah, I think I know where you're coming from...

A formal environment as opposed to self paced learning at home can also be a bit confronting for a novice therefor in my opinion alongside practical experience, it really depends upon the individual whether he/she is able too absorb instruction without the added 'pressure' of having their work critiqued in a public setting amongst a peer group even though in most cases students, in a manner of speaking are usually on a 'level playing field', aptitude wise. Similarly an insightful perspective covering life drawing aspects for those new too traditional 2D:

Life drawing advice for beginner/intermediate artists 

With that in mind, I'll only address the practicalities again based on experience, (text book theory aside for the moment) via a set of options how to 'get the ball rolling' essentially just a few pointers training hand eye coordination and muscle memory, pretty crucial attained skillset for anyone when initially delving into analogue drawing for the first time.

Prior to recommending a probable learning pathway let me preface my reasoning supporting the following advice. I'm a firm believer in techniques refined under the Western School of Art, they've served preceding generations of artist painters including old Italian Renaissance Masters when in turn apprenticing under their respective Master artisan, one simply has only to google the awe inspiring breadth of work residing in art museums/galleries the world over, a valid testament too these centuries old methodologies.

One such commonly used preparatory (fresco) painting process still to this day is, tracing the base design onto wet plaster thus in a contemporary context 'copying' a reference trains through constant practise a visual hand-eye dexterity.

Anyways here's my personalised workflow.

Materials:

Pencil, eraser and pads of (an f'ing sh*tload...believe me you're going to need every sheet FRONT & BACK) tracing and cartridge paper 

Reference/s: 

Whatever interest's you! however since your OP is oriented towards figurative drawing, may I suggest hi-res human anatomy photo sets for artists, eg: a popular online resource "Human Anatomy for Artist" site that thankfully filters model categories by partial/fully clothed, nude, postures, gender, age, race...etc. Though paid content, cost is fairly minimal across the board so browse and see if anything appeals too you or go with your own choice of material.

Drawing Session Setup: (Position/Posture)

This is wholly down to personal preference, either conventional ergonomic drawing desk/chair combo, kitchen table, sitting/lounge room chair/sofa, sitting on the floor or perhaps my usual setup which includes comfy bean bag with favourite tunes as background accompaniment whilst engaged in a sketching session...keeping in mind regular breaks are essential regardless of choice if you wish too avoid resultant assorted aches and pains from occurring.

(Pro Tip - Too mitigate the aforementioned, try getting into the habit of setting your phone and/or other device's alarm as a reminder prompt, between 20min - 30min should suffice although by all means customise timeframes to suit)

Holding the Pencil:

Some useful info highlighting various grips when drawing/sketching, I prefer traditional tripod for detailing and 'drumstick' for shading/contrast work: 5 Grips for Holding a Pencil for Drawing

Tracing the Reference:

When a workable setup is tailored to need, begin tracing, concentrating at this stage on your chosen image's outline, paying particular attention as accurately as possible by drawing a solid line, repeat until satisfied you've nailed a precise copy. This initial exercise gradually develops muscle memory coupled with a artistic foundational attribute, namely "Observation" 

Shading/Hatching in Detail:

Once you've decided the outline represents a close facsimile to the original start shading in as best you can, by tracing the ref's detail and again repeat the process until satisfied with the result. Oh and...fear not open the link below, there's a host of invaluable info how to achieve a correctly rendered drawing, which at this point will only be traced. Pencil Shading Tips and Tricks 

Drawing Freehand:

This is where things get a touch more interesting...

After exhaustively (kidding...) practising the above steps transfer the outline you'd traced using an 'old school' trick. Just apply probably using a HB2 leaded pencil, a heavy line with hand pressure, as close as possible following the ref outline, when done, simply reverse the traced outlined sheet of trace paper on top of a sheet of cartridge paper, then using a blunt tipped pencil, in a side to side motion via pressure a "transfer" should result. Now by hopefully utilising newly acquired, hand-eye coordination plus observation attributes try filling in the detail free hand and as per usual  "Rinse-and-Repeat". 

Over time, I assume with growing confidence, do the same with the outline until a precise copy drawn freehand by YOU.  Another pro tip of sorts, always remind yourself to introduce an element of challenge to forestall motivational fatigue every artist at some point experiences. Thereby those hi res photo sets I'd previously linked, also capture differing poses, lighting, tonal contrasts...etc,etc, in other words extend your Visual Library, so have a crack drawing them as well.

Lastly at some later date you may even consider enrolling in a local life drawing class, at the very least if you'd taken on board all or a few facets I've shared here today, you'll not undertake the activity totally 'clean'.

Anyhow a very, very basic introduction into the vast artistic array that encapsulates the traditional 2D medium and remember whichever avenue you eventually choose...have fun with it.

Cheers. 

EDIT:

Mainly a morale boost for all the time and effort invested together with an unbiased critique. Enlist the help of a family member/s, relative, partner or close friend show them your best drawing. Make up some fictional story like - "Here's a picture one of my friends had drawn freehand...waddaya think!?" after they've offered an opinion, tell them the truth, which typically evokes a reaction priceless too behold :D